[SOLVED] System *gradually* freezes. RAID controller causing the issue?

w41g872

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
My system storage setup is comprised on two PCIE gen 4 SSDs in RAID0 on an X570 motherboard. However, during heavy workload like gaming the system gradually freezes. By that I mean first the game will freeze, But the other windows are still displaying fine and the taskbar is still responsive. At this point Ctrl + Alt + Del does not work. You can move your mouse and the keyboard lighting is nominal. Then after you click around for some time the keyboard stop responding, the windows and the taskbar freeze, and you cannot move your mouse.
One thing to note is that after rebooting from the crash, the disk will always show 100% utilization, which leads me to suspect if this could be caused by RAID controller or its driver. Please let me know if you have any insight in this or if you have experienced a similar problem. Thank you.

Solution
My system storage setup is comprised on two PCIE gen 4 SSDs in RAID0 on an X570 motherboard. However, during heavy workload like gaming the system gradually freezes. By that I mean first the game will freeze, But the other windows are still displaying fine and the taskbar is still responsive. At this point Ctrl + Alt + Del does not work. You can move your mouse and the keyboard lighting is nominal. Then after you click around for some time the keyboard stop responding, the windows and the taskbar freeze, and you cannot move your mouse.
One thing to note is that after rebooting from the crash, the disk will always show 100% utilization, which leads me to suspect if this could be caused by RAID controller or its driver. Please let me...

RealBeast

Titan
One thing to note is that after rebooting from the crash, the disk will always show 100% utilization, which leads me to suspect if this could be caused by RAID controller or its driver. Please let me know if you have any insight in this or if you have experienced a similar problem. Thank you.
Since RAID 0 for SSDs does nothing other than improve some benchmarks the answer is simple, take them out of RAID 0 -- use one as an OS drive and the other for fast storage. Motherboard RAID controllers are full of issues and frequently fail during bios updates, power outages, you name it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS