System Hanging

G

Ok, i got a problem here and not too sure are to what is causing it.

I just built a system. The specs are:
AMD T-Bird C 1333
MSI k-master motherboard (non scsi)
Guilmont fortisimo
Asus V8200 delux geforce3
30GB HD W/ATA66
512 CL2 DDR ram
running windows ME (want to change to 98SE but dont have it yet)
and everthing else i dont beleive is relevent.

The problem that i am facing is that my system is hanging on my sometimes. I chose the graphics forum because i think i may be related to the graphics card. Mainly my system hangs whenever im playing a game (FYI: The only game iv really played on this system so far is Sacrifice that came w/ the video card). Most of the time, after about 5 min (sometimes upto 2 hours) the system will suddenly pause on me. I cant crt-alt-del and reset the computer, music is still running (but i think its all cued up in the ram) but i cant do nothing. Everthing pause, cant move the mouse, and after hitting enough buttons the computer starts making the usual beeping noises with every key stroke.
At first i thought it was the IDE ribbon because the system starts to pause sometimes when initally running a program (expecially with norton utillities speed disk). When i say starts to pause i mean i cant use the mouse or keyboard. After about 2-5 seconds the system resumes doing the requested task. SO to try and counter this i tried a diferent ide ribbon (i didnt have another ata 66/100 ribbon so i used a standard ata33). At first this seemed to work but the next day it started pausing again.
Now, this problem only seems to happen durring a game. Its never happend in 3dMARK 2000 or 2001. But it has paused right on bootup at the network login screen.
I have fully reformated and reinstalled the hardrive (except for the storage partician). THere are currently no new drivers for download. No new bios updates. The NVIDIA drivers are the same as the Asus drivers.
I dont know why this is happening. The only thing i can think of trying is removing the sound card incass of a conflict.
FYI: there is only on conflict in device manager. There is an unknowen device driver not loaded and i dont know what it is for. Nothing on any installatino cds load it on. Dont know if that is relevent but from my experiments it isnt.

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
I just built a computer very very similar to yours, except I am using an Asus A7M266 motherboard. I had the same problem as well, and you are right, it's the Asus GF3 board. Go into your BIOS, and see if you can change your System into Turbo Mode, I don't really know what this does but I guess it gets more juice out of your processor? hehe. But here is the kicker, your default AGP Graphics Apperture Size (Something like that, sorry I can't remember the exact wording) should be 64MB. Bump it up to 512MB, then that should fix ALL the hanging and inconsistent auto-rebooting.

Also, you can try to use nVidia's reference driver, I use the 12.41 because it seems more stable, and you can adjust FSAA unlike the 12.60.