System hard locks multiple times a day.

Sam_The_Man_

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Hi everyone, thanks for any help you can give. Computer will be working flawless, but ill be browsing and the system will lock up. It may start off as the youtube page wont load, but soon the entire OS stops responding. I force restart and it works fine until the next lock. I think it is a hardware problem, but not sure. (RAM/mobo/psu or software?). Specs below, hope they can help, will provide whatever other information i can

Specs:

CPU: 6600k
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
RAM: 16 gb Corsair 2133 hz
Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 3 z170
PSU: Gigabyte 1100W, can't remember exactly

Solution
Check the SSD for errors and update its firmware. Usually each SSD manufacturer provides its own software suite that also allows you to update the firmware. Also check the external drive for errors, try to use another USB port and finally disconnect it and then test your system without it. There are a lot of components that can cause this issue. Even a simple thing such as a bad USB cable, can hang the whole system. So you have to check every piece of hardware you have and the easiest way is to remove everything and start from a basic setup. Then test your system. If the issue is gone, then start plugging one device/component each time and repeat the testing. That way you may find the bad/failing hardware if this is indeed a hardware...
Does it only happen during surfing the net?

1) Check your temps and make sure that your CPU, GPU aren't overheating.
2) Update all your drivers, GPU, mobo, network, sound etc. Usually this issue is driver related. Also update your motherboard's UEFI/BIOS.
3) Test your RAM with memtest. Scan your hard disk for errors.
4) Stress test your system.
5) If a hardware failure is causing this, it may be the PSU. Try testing your system with another PSU.
6) If you still can't fix the issue you may need to reset/re-install windows.

Sam_The_Man_

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

Sorry, no it happens everywhere, just wanted to clarify that it wasnt due to overheating. Is there anywhere i can find all the links to the drivers together? Ill do BIOS and memtest when i have time, thanks!

Check the SSD for errors and update its firmware. Usually each SSD manufacturer provides its own software suite that also allows you to update the firmware. Also check the external drive for errors, try to use another USB port and finally disconnect it and then test your system without it. There are a lot of components that can cause this issue. Even a simple thing such as a bad USB cable, can hang the whole system. So you have to check every piece of hardware you have and the easiest way is to remove everything and start from a basic setup. Then test your system. If the issue is gone, then start plugging one device/component each time and repeat the testing. That way you may find the bad/failing hardware if this is indeed a hardware issue and not a software one (drivers, windows, bad configuration etc).

Finally have you tried to clear the CMOS? It may help in case this issue is UEFI/BIOS related.

Solution

RE:#2: Updating the BIOS is one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" items of the computer. A BIOS update is ONLY recommended to correct a KNOWN error (will be listed in the release notes of the BIOS), or to gain additional functionality(like support for a new CPU). Never update the BIOS just to have the latest update. If the release notes don't address your particular issue, then a BIOS update won't fix your problem.

Often BIOS updates improve or fix compatibility issues with numerous devices/components, that rarely get mentioned in the release notes unless its a serious issue or a popular device. I agree with you that updating the BIOS isn't a walk in the park but sometimes you have to do it in order to cross one thing in an endless troubleshooting list. That said I usually leave it at the bottom of my list (before the windows re-installation) unless I am dealing with an obvious BIOS issue.

While the release notes may not make a statement about your particular piece of equipment, it is possible that a general improvement in one area can have a positive effect on the machine as a whole, Don't fall into the "Well, I've tried everything else, maybe this will work" trap and update the BIOS "just because". It's just as possible it could have an adverse effect.
All I am saying is: have a valid reason and an expectation of what should happen when you do flash the BIOS.