Question Screen randomly flashes black and audio starts skipping

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
SPECS

Just set up a new pc build, but seemingly randomly my screen will go black on both of my monitors (seemingly more on my main monitor than my secondary) ,and the audio will begin to skip and stutter. Not sure what it could be.

I also can see my main monitor having minor flashes almost all the time. These constant flashes show up as discrete white flashes in the corner of my screen. when moving my display port cable this drastically increases the flashing and stuttering, but for some reason moving my displayport also affects my other monitor which is plugged into a seperate port using hdmi.

When I woke up today the screens were flashing so bad that i had to restart my pc. after the restart it wouldnt boot into windows, went into windows recovery and ran auto repair which told me "D:Windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt" .

Any help would be super appreciated, thanks!! :)

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You might want to see if uninstalling the drivers for your GPU using DDU and reinstalling the latest found off of AMD's support site changes your experience. With the matter about the cables, maybe see if changing the cables changes your experience as well.

Lastly, try out another PSU to see if the unit you have is the culprit.

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Windows 10 Home 10.0.18363 Build 18363

I am on the latest version for my bios which was released on 5/10/2019, smbios version is 3.2,
my bios mode is on legacy (not sure if that is normal or not)

After running windows recovery i restored my system which allowed it to work (I'm typing on it rn) however the issue persists. Originally this happened after i had gone to sleep while leaving the computer in sleep mode.

Installed the drivers for my gpu using amds auto driver detection in their latest version of adrenalin 2019 (version 19.11.2) still persists

I'd like to order a new displayport cable to test, any reccomendations? I have a blower card so the ports sometimes get warm, dont know if certain cables are more susceptible than others but.

I will test the current displayport cable in my old pc and see if any of it persists as well.

Lastly, the only other power supply i have is a EVGA Supernova 550 G3 80+ Gold. I dont know if it is enough to power my rig since the vega 64 by itself has a TDP of like 295W I think, but i could try it if you think it can handle it.

Also I will message back in about 8 hours as to whether the flashing and skipping drastically get worse again after putting the computer in sleep mode whilst i sleep.

Another thing ive noticed is that when i change my refresh rate on my main monitor (Sceptre C27 27 in freesync 144hz)via its display adapter properties, the stuttering and flashing gets drastically worse and the screen on my main monitor will stay black for around 30 seconds before it auto reverts the change. I was able to change it however by scaling up incrementally from 60 to 100 to 120 and then to 144.

Last edited:

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
just set up a new pc a few days ago, and ive been getting notidications from the AMD Radeon software saying "System has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution or refresh rate on your displayport display" my monitor flashes intensely when moving the cord even very slightly, also i see that my monitor is bleeding in the bottom right and left(pixels are slowly dying) . I also notcice that my monitor gets very hot on the bottom, for reference the monitor is here - Sceptre C27

Lutfij

Titan
The board seems to have BIOS versions 3.21, 3.30 and 3.4. I wouldn't recommend v3.5 as it's stated in the BIOS notes.

That being said, you should look at a similar EVGA unit but with more wattage to deliver to your entire system. Yes the Vega 64 has a higher TDP and the minimum wattage for the entire system is 700W.

Don't use auto detect, you should manually source the drivers. See if the other ports on your monitor exhibit the same flicker you speak of. Also don't create multiple threads when the topic is on the same matter. Instead be patient for answers from the community.

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
The board seems to have BIOS versions 3.21, 3.30 and 3.4. I wouldn't recommend v3.5 as it's stated in the BIOS notes.

That being said, you should look at a similar EVGA unit but with more wattage to deliver to your entire system. Yes the Vega 64 has a higher TDP and the minimum wattage for the entire system is 700W.

Don't use auto detect, you should manually source the drivers. See if the other ports on your monitor exhibit the same flicker you speak of. Also don't create multiple threads when the topic is on the same matter. Instead be patient for answers from the community.
my apologies, also I tested my monitor with an hdmi instead of displayport and the flashing is gone, maybe i just need a new displayport cable? i will also update my bios but i dont know where to go to download it. also where should i go to source my drivers? Thank you for your responses btw.

Update : The flashing is still happening with hdmi, so both ports do flicker, this usually is worse when playing games and it doesnt really happen as much when im just browsing the web or doing non intensive things. im starting to think maybe its a power supply thing, but idk.

Last edited: