[SOLVED] System Help? A) B) Suggestion?

Solution
A.
-Just do a 2x 16GB kit. Ryzen doesn't play as nicely with more than 2 dimms installed - I'm not saying that it won't work at all though - plus it's easier on the Internal Memory Controller.
-At least get a 7200rpm spinning drive. Some of your games, especially the ones that frequently access the drive, won't play smoothly on a slow 5400rpm model.
That's my 2 cents.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A.
-Just do a 2x 16GB kit. Ryzen doesn't play as nicely with more than 2 dimms installed - I'm not saying that it won't work at all though - plus it's easier on the Internal Memory Controller.
-At least get a 7200rpm spinning drive. Some of your games, especially the ones that frequently access the drive, won't play smoothly on a slow 5400rpm model.
That's my 2 cents.

Solution

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi guys, I regretfully sold my system a little while back, recent looked at rebuilding one, which system would be better for streaming, video rendering and gaming, what improvements could be made?

A)
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7yZDJb

Or

B)
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kNWCDx

Definitely A.

A few suggestions, however:

-16GB RAM would be enough. Get a 2x8GB kit. Ryzen likes high memory clock, so 3000+ MHz is great.

Do I see it correctly that you already have your SSD and HDD?

If not:
-Get an NVMe SSD instead (or get one in addition, as a boot drive). You'll definitely see a big change. Not as big as HDD vs SATA SSD, but still very noticeable. It will be way more snappy.
-As @Phaaze88 also said: get a 7200RPM HDD. You'll notice the difference.

Oh, and you can go lower on the CPU wattage if you want to save a few bucks. A quality 550W (or even 500W) PSU would power this build nicely.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Personally since wanting to spend more on the 2700X build would i spend that extra on the 3600 build as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£166.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (£19.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£92.39 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£100.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 590 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card (£130.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
Power Supply: RIOTORO ENIGMA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.98 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £586.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-20 17:24 GMT+0000

didn't change the parts you listed prices yourself for. Do agree on the 5400rpm hdd,but maybe you can add another one.
The psu is way overkill wattage wise,but looking at price/quality is it a good choice. And wil probably be pretty silent since being hardly pushed.

Might well be that for streaming the 2700X is the better choice since having more cores. Choice depends on how much you want to do that. I don't do this so have to look at what others say. Might be good to look into that yourself.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX