Question System identifies my new m.2 as the drive that windows is installed on but BIOS identifies my old ssd sata drive as the boot option still.

RuffRidersEvo

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
Basically the title, what i did was i reinstalled windows on my new m.2 drive and my plan is to use the old sata ssd (my previous boot drive) as external storage. However my BIOS still has the sata drive as the selected boot option, with the m.2 nowhere in sight in the boot option menu, should i just format the old ssd sata drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Basically the title, what i did was i reinstalled windows on my new m.2 drive and my plan is to use the old sata ssd (my previous boot drive) as external storage. However my BIOS still has the sata drive as the selected boot option, with the m.2 nowhere in sight in the boot option menu, should i just format the old ssd sata drive?
Did you do the install on the M.2 with the old drive still connected?

If so, redo the install. With ONLY the new M.2 connected.

RuffRidersEvo

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
Did you do the install on the M.2 with the old drive still connected?

If so, redo the install. With ONLY the new M.2 connected.

yes i did, if i redo the install, am i going to lose anything?

RuffRidersEvo

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
Boot with both drives connected and show screenshot from Disk Management.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I see, you don't really want to reinstall windows.
This can be avoided, but will require creating bootloader partition on new drive manually.
So if i reinstall windows on the new drive, will it wipe it completely? Will it also affect my steam game progress?