Question System Image Backup to Network Drive Nightmare!

ibanman555

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Hey Forum,

I am desperately trying to create a system image to a networked drive, in this case a 4TB external connected to my TP-Link AX50 router. The drive is visible on my PC, and I've mapped the drive as well.

Windows backup cannot write to the backup storage location (0x80780047)
Using Windows 7 Backup option to create a system image continues to fail over and over. I have changed Volume Shadowing to Automatic, I can transfer files to and from the drive, user credentials check out, and it starts to backup, but it just fails after a few minutes.

Please help me understand what is wrong here? Thank you in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey Forum,

I am desperately trying to create a system image to a networked drive, in this case a 4TB external connected to my TP-Link AX50 router. The drive is visible on my PC, and I've mapped the drive as well.

Windows backup cannot write to the backup storage location (0x80780047)
Using Windows 7 Backup option to create a system image continues to fail over and over. I have changed Volume Shadowing to Automatic, I can transfer files to and from the drive, user credentials check out, and it starts to backup, but it just fails after a few minutes.

Please help me understand what is wrong here? Thank you in advance!
Is this drive formatted NTFS or ext3? If NTFS, then move the drive to the USB on the PC and do the backup.

ibanman555

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
It is formatted NTFS. Removing the drive from its storage location works, I understand that, but completely defeats the purpose. So what should the drive be formatted as to make this work? I didn't catch the answer to that....

This question also applies to backing up to my networked backup server, which also doesn't work. I'm hoping someone could actually guide me through a cause and solution to this problem. Thank you so much!

PS - Here's this....
Windows 10 current update
TP Link AX50 Router
My Passport 4TB attached as Shared USB
FREENAS 11.3 U2 Dell R510 server

Last edited: