System Image Recovery Unrecognized - Error: 0x80042402

Noahs_SpaceArk

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
Hi Tom's Hardware,

I've had a mega-failure with system image recovery. After 5 attempts the system image does not seem to be recognized. I've attempted on 2 separate HDDs. The original and a back-up both the same size, 1TB. I've read everywhere and tried most options, but nothing seems to work. I'm afraid I really screwed my system up.

Initially the system image recovery seemed to work, but the bootmgr was missing. Startup repair didn't seem to work. I used CLEAN in DISKPART thru cmd console. Tried System Image again.
Now I'm receiving the error 0x80042402, system image restore not read.
Error details: Windows cannot create a disk on this computer needed to restore from the backup. Make sure the disks are properly connected, or add or change disks, and try the restore again. (0x80042402)
The HDDs are now being read as 'Foreign' when I check them with List Disk > DISKPART.

After my latest System Image Recovery which apparently completes after I run it. When I boot back in to do startup repair. The OS is listed as an Unknown, OS Unknown. Thus I am unable to do a System Restore or Startup Repair. I'm stuck in a cycle of just re-writing the system image. Which I know I shouldn't be doing anymore.

How do I get my computer back?

Is it possible that the system image is corrupted? It is being read when i do a system image restore as the C: drive.

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
I was able to find a solution to my problem.
Ultimately I had a faulting boot manager which caused some problems restoring my image.
Below was how I got everything back if you're in a similar situation.

How I restored everything:: (may not be in the correct order, but it worked for me)
Make sure HDD is set in SATA 0
Make sure Mobo and HDD are in compatibility mode, IDE
Installed a copy of windows to HDD
Rewrote the System Image from within new Windows Install
Ran System Restore
Ran bootrec /FixMbr
Reran System Restore
System was able to boot and restart to last image/system restore

I wish I knew what I was actually doing. But with a mix of what was available for solutions it worked.

If you're from the future reading this and ran into...

Noahs_SpaceArk

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
I was able to find a solution to my problem.
Ultimately I had a faulting boot manager which caused some problems restoring my image.
Below was how I got everything back if you're in a similar situation.

How I restored everything:: (may not be in the correct order, but it worked for me)
Make sure HDD is set in SATA 0
Make sure Mobo and HDD are in compatibility mode, IDE
Installed a copy of windows to HDD
Rewrote the System Image from within new Windows Install
Ran System Restore
Ran bootrec /FixMbr
Reran System Restore
System was able to boot and restart to last image/system restore

I wish I knew what I was actually doing. But with a mix of what was available for solutions it worked.

If you're from the future reading this and ran into a similar problem. Take your time and make sure everything is in line first. My near fatal mistake was running through it instead of taking my time. As was suggested, I may have nearly ran diskpart>clean on the wrong one. Take your time. If you've taken proper precautions and backups. You should/will get your system back.

Cheers Toms Hardware!

Solution

Noahs_SpaceArk

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

No worries. I actually got help, as i cross posted in Storage and was told about bootrec /fixmbr