[SOLVED] System Image

wtcamb

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I created a system image a year ago of my C:/ drive to an external drive.

My computer crashed. I reinstalled Windows 7Home Premium successfully.

But I need to know how to get my old system image from my external hard drive to C: and use it as my operating system. Any help will be greatly appreciated. When I try to do a restore, there is no option for an external drive, only what’s on C:/

Solution
That's strange. It worked perfectly for me when I had Win7 (and, just like you, my system image was saved on external hard drive).

Make sure external disk which contains the system image is plugged in before you boot from the Startup Repair Disc.

Then scroll down and start at Step 3 as shown here (be sure to choose "System Image Recovery" from the options shown).
When you created the system image, you should also have created a "System Repair Disc", the option for which appears underneath "Create system image" in the Backup & Restore window.

If you didn't make one, you can do so now. Then you boot from it to launch the Restore utility.

wtcamb

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
When you created the system image, you should also have created a "System Repair Disc", the option for which appears underneath "Create system image" in the Backup & Restore window.

If you didn't make one, you can do so now. Then you boot from it to launch the Restore utility.

I did, but there is no option for restoring from an external hard drive, in this case F:/

That's strange. It worked perfectly for me when I had Win7 (and, just like you, my system image was saved on external hard drive).

Make sure external disk which contains the system image is plugged in before you boot from the Startup Repair Disc.

Then scroll down and start at Step 3 as shown here (be sure to choose "System Image Recovery" from the options shown).

Solution