ASUS Z97A motherboard
Core i5 4460 CPU
16 Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
Samsung 500 Gb SSD with the OS installed
Western Digital Blue 1 Tb and Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb in a RAID
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 GPU
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 PSU
Win7 64

I have had the system for about 5 years with very little problem until last week was working in Prepar3D flightsim and Airport Design Editor designing scenery modifications when with no warning the system rebooted with the error that the motherboard had detected a voltage spike and had shut down the protect the motherboard. I suspected the PSU so I removed it and replaced it with a new EVGA Supernova 650 that I had. The system came up to windows with no problems.
When I tried to load Prepar3d 3D the system rebooted with no error shown. I tried a different graphic intensive program and the same thing happened. I removed the GPU and used the integrated graphics and once again the system came up with no problem except I could not see the RAID disks in the windows explorer folder.
I was able to access most of my programs and I avoided using any graphics intensive programs. The system worked for about 1 hour then suddenly rebooted without any error message shown. This time I was able to work in Windows for just a short time 10 mins. before rebooting.
A friend of mine with a fair amount of computer knowledge recommended that we reset the BIOS which we did and the same thing happened.
There was no evidence of CPU or motherboard overheating and all fans working
Then even in safe mode it would reboot right after windows loads even without using any programs.
I just tried it this morning after lying dormant for a couple of days and with only the SSD with the OS plugged in and using the integrated graphics the system booted to windows and so far is stable, but I suspect as it heats up it will go into the reboot loop.
I apologize for the lengthy post but it seemed important that I include the details.
This seems to be really complex or something simple I really don't know where to go from here.
Thanks so much for your help.

tcvalley

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Hey Guys,

I have a:
ASUS Z97A motherboard
Core i5 4460 CPU
16 Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
Samsung 500 Gb SSD with the OS installed
Western Digital Blue 1 Tb and Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb in a RAID
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 GPU
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 PSU
Win7 64

I have had the system for about 5 years with very little problem until last week was working in Prepar3D flightsim and Airport Design Editor designing scenery modifications when with no warning the system rebooted with the error that the motherboard had detected a voltage spike and had shut down the protect the motherboard. I suspected the PSU so I removed it and replaced it with a new EVGA Supernova 650 that I had. The system came up to windows with no problems.
When I tried to load Prepar3d 3D the system rebooted with no error shown. I tried a different graphic intensive program and the same thing happened. I removed the GPU and used the integrated graphics and once again the system came up with no problem except I could not see the RAID disks in the windows explorer folder.
I was able to access most of my programs and I avoided using any graphics intensive programs. The system worked for about 1 hour then suddenly rebooted without any error message shown. This time I was able to work in Windows for just a short time 10 mins. before rebooting.
A friend of mine with a fair amount of computer knowledge recommended that we reset the BIOS which we did and the same thing happened.
There was no evidence of CPU or motherboard overheating and all fans working
Then even in safe mode it would reboot right after windows loads even without using any programs.
I just tried it this morning after lying dormant for a couple of days and with only the SSD with the OS plugged in and using the integrated graphics the system booted to windows and so far is stable, but I suspect as it heats up it will go into the reboot loop.
I apologize for the lengthy post but it seemed important that I include the details.
This seems to be really complex or something simple I really don't know where to go from here.
Thanks so much for your help.
Sorry I have no idea of what to look for.