System Info; Msinfo32.exe; XP Sp 2

I have Xp Home Edition Sp 2.

I recently noticed that System Information (or Msinfo32.exe) doesn't 'run'
when activated; rather "Help & Support" is launched. It used to work OK.

A quick search of websites suggests the problem is a deleted 'index.dat'
file contained in a sub-folder of 'WINDOWS/PCHEALTH'. The only suggested fix
I can see is a clean re-install of Xp.

Is this missing index.dat file really the cause of the problem ? If so, is a
clean re-install the only fix (or can I get an appropriate generic index.dat
file from somewhere ?) ?

Or,.... is the problem to do with Sp 2 ?

I would welcome advice.

Many Thanks.

--
Greetings from England

Hi,

Here are a couple of links that should fix the problem.

Fix WinXP Help after running Easy Cleaner
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP

Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
http://dts-l.org/

englishman wrote:
> I have Xp Home Edition Sp 2.
>
> I recently noticed that System Information (or
> Msinfo32.exe) doesn't 'run' when activated; rather "Help
> & Support" is launched. It used to work OK.
>
> A quick search of websites suggests the problem is a
> deleted 'index.dat' file contained in a sub-folder of
> 'WINDOWS/PCHEALTH'. The only suggested fix I can see is a
> clean re-install of Xp.
>
> Is this missing index.dat file really the cause of the
> problem ? If so, is a clean re-install the only fix (or
> can I get an appropriate generic index.dat file from
> somewhere ?) ?
>
> Or,.... is the problem to do with Sp 2 ?
>
> I would welcome advice.
>
> Many Thanks.

Hi Bert. Thanks for this, but 'Help & Support' is working fine - no
problems. The problem is 'System Information' or 'Msinfo32.exe', however
they are invoked (except Msinfo32.exe with certain command line switches) do
NOT run - instead they invoke 'Help & Support'.

I've tried an Xp repair install and then re-installed Sp2, but this hasn't
solved the problem. I'm reluctant to try the suggestions on your links when
the 'problem' doesn't seem to be the one for which the solutions are
designed.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here are a couple of links that should fix the problem.
>
> Fix WinXP Help after running Easy Cleaner
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> englishman wrote:
> > I have Xp Home Edition Sp 2.
> >
> > I recently noticed that System Information (or
> > Msinfo32.exe) doesn't 'run' when activated; rather "Help
> > & Support" is launched. It used to work OK.
> >
> > A quick search of websites suggests the problem is a
> > deleted 'index.dat' file contained in a sub-folder of
> > 'WINDOWS/PCHEALTH'. The only suggested fix I can see is a
> > clean re-install of Xp.
> >
> > Is this missing index.dat file really the cause of the
> > problem ? If so, is a clean re-install the only fix (or
> > can I get an appropriate generic index.dat file from
> > somewhere ?) ?
> >
> > Or,.... is the problem to do with Sp 2 ?
> >
> > I would welcome advice.
> >
> > Many Thanks.

First. Set Hidden files and folders to display.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
Check:
? Display the contents of system folders
? Show hidden files and folders
UNCheck:
? Hide protected operating system files
Apply | OK

[[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
typical items.]]

Second. Paste this in the Start | Run box...

C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache

Click OK.

Look for a file called index.dat. Is one there? If not, remove the 123
from my E-mail address and E-mail me I'll send you a copy of the index.dat
file.

Or if you like get a copy from a friend.

There a work arounds, but you are probably missing
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\index.dat

I fixed this on my machine a couple of weeks ago.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:62067605-CA0A-4C4B-9E58-6B810F0E4BE8@microsoft.com,
englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Bert. Thanks for this, but 'Help & Support' is working fine - no
> problems. The problem is 'System Information' or 'Msinfo32.exe',
> however they are invoked (except Msinfo32.exe with certain command
> line switches) do NOT run - instead they invoke 'Help & Support'.
>
> I've tried an Xp repair install and then re-installed Sp2, but this
> hasn't solved the problem. I'm reluctant to try the suggestions on
> your links when the 'problem' doesn't seem to be the one for which
> the solutions are designed.
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here are a couple of links that should fix the problem.
>>
>> Fix WinXP Help after running Easy Cleaner
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> englishman wrote:
>>> I have Xp Home Edition Sp 2.
>>>
>>> I recently noticed that System Information (or
>>> Msinfo32.exe) doesn't 'run' when activated; rather "Help
>>> & Support" is launched. It used to work OK.
>>>
>>> A quick search of websites suggests the problem is a
>>> deleted 'index.dat' file contained in a sub-folder of
>>> 'WINDOWS/PCHEALTH'. The only suggested fix I can see is a
>>> clean re-install of Xp.
>>>
>>> Is this missing index.dat file really the cause of the
>>> problem ? If so, is a clean re-install the only fix (or
>>> can I get an appropriate generic index.dat file from
>>> somewhere ?) ?
>>>
>>> Or,.... is the problem to do with Sp 2 ?
>>>
>>> I would welcome advice.
>>>
>>> Many Thanks.

Wesley

Thanks for your response - there is no 'index.dat' file - I'll email to
request one.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> First. Set Hidden files and folders to display.
>
> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
> Check:
> Â? Display the contents of system folders
> Â? Show hidden files and folders
> UNCheck:
> Â? Hide protected operating system files
> Apply | OK
>
> [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
> typical items.]]
>
> Second. Paste this in the Start | Run box...
>
> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
>
> Click OK.
>
> Look for a file called index.dat. Is one there? If not, remove the 123
> from my E-mail address and E-mail me I'll send you a copy of the index.dat
> file.
>
> Or if you like get a copy from a friend.
>
> There a work arounds, but you are probably missing
> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\index.dat
>
> I fixed this on my machine a couple of weeks ago.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:62067605-CA0A-4C4B-9E58-6B810F0E4BE8@microsoft.com,
> englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi Bert. Thanks for this, but 'Help & Support' is working fine - no
> > problems. The problem is 'System Information' or 'Msinfo32.exe',
> > however they are invoked (except Msinfo32.exe with certain command
> > line switches) do NOT run - instead they invoke 'Help & Support'.
> >
> > I've tried an Xp repair install and then re-installed Sp2, but this
> > hasn't solved the problem. I'm reluctant to try the suggestions on
> > your links when the 'problem' doesn't seem to be the one for which
> > the solutions are designed.
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Here are a couple of links that should fix the problem.
> >>
> >> Fix WinXP Help after running Easy Cleaner
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> >> http://dts-l.org/

It's on the way. Let us know, here how it works out.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:D011B607-C276-4349-A3C4-2B09F555F825@microsoft.com,
englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley
>
> Thanks for your response - there is no 'index.dat' file - I'll email
> to request one.
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> First. Set Hidden files and folders to display.
>>
>> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
>> Check:
>> Â? Display the contents of system folders
>> Â? Show hidden files and folders
>> UNCheck:
>> Â? Hide protected operating system files
>> Apply | OK
>>
>> [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are
>> not typical items.]]
>>
>> Second. Paste this in the Start | Run box...
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
>>
>> Click OK.
>>
>> Look for a file called index.dat. Is one there? If not, remove the
>> 123 from my E-mail address and E-mail me I'll send you a copy of the
>> index.dat file.
>>
>> Or if you like get a copy from a friend.
>>
>> There a work arounds, but you are probably missing
>> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\index.dat
>>
>> I fixed this on my machine a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:62067605-CA0A-4C4B-9E58-6B810F0E4BE8@microsoft.com,
>> englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Bert. Thanks for this, but 'Help & Support' is working fine - no
>>> problems. The problem is 'System Information' or 'Msinfo32.exe',
>>> however they are invoked (except Msinfo32.exe with certain command
>>> line switches) do NOT run - instead they invoke 'Help & Support'.
>>>
>>> I've tried an Xp repair install and then re-installed Sp2, but this
>>> hasn't solved the problem. I'm reluctant to try the suggestions on
>>> your links when the 'problem' doesn't seem to be the one for which
>>> the solutions are designed.

Wesley

Many thanks for the 'index.dat' file - it completely solves the problem !

I love it whan a plan comes together.

Keep having fun! :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:DFC7A741-942B-4D26-B913-761ADF256600@microsoft.com,
englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley
>
> Many thanks for the 'index.dat' file - it completely solves the
> problem !
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> It's on the way. Let us know, here how it works out.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:D011B607-C276-4349-A3C4-2B09F555F825@microsoft.com,
>> englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wesley
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response - there is no 'index.dat' file - I'll email
>>> to request one.

Nicely done Wesley. Any idea what causes the deletion of the
index.dat file?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> I love it whan a plan comes together.
>
> Keep having fun! :)
>

> In
> englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted
> and pecked:
>> Wesley
>>
>> Many thanks for the 'index.dat' file - it completely
>> solves the problem !
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> It's on the way. Let us know, here how it works out.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In
>>> englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>> hunted and pecked:

Hi Bert,

In my case, SWAG, Index.dat Suite. Index.dat Suite finds all the index.dat
files and sets up a batch file to delete them on boot. I don't know for
sure that Index.dat Suite is the culprit, in my case, but it's the most
likely suspect.

SWAG. Some sort of TIF cleaner is probably to blame in many other cases.

The index.dats in the Temporary Internet Files recreate themselves so, no
problem. The index.dat file in C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
doesn't ever get recreated. I changed mine to Read-only and have a zipped
backup. :)

Vampirefo actully discovered that the missing index.dat was causing the
msinfo32 problem. Kelly sent me a copy of the file and I copied it to the
appropriate place and my msinfo32 problem was over.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uoXXVfE$EHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Bert Kinney <bert@NSmvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Nicely done Wesley. Any idea what causes the deletion of the
> index.dat file?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>> I love it whan a plan comes together.
>>
>> Keep having fun! :)
>>

>> In
>> englishman <englishman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted
>> and pecked:
>>> Wesley
>>>
>>> Many thanks for the 'index.dat' file - it completely
>>> solves the problem !

Thanks for the info Wesley, I am sure this will come in handy in the
future.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]