Question System instability after enabling MSI A-XMP with Vengeance Pro Ram?

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
Hi all. I recently upgraded my system to a Ryzen 9 5900x, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x16Gb (model number CMW32GX4M2D3600C18), and an MSI MPG x570 gaming edge wifi motherboard. I was running some very basic benchmarks before and after enabling A-XMP with 3DMark timespy to see exactly how much my cpu score would increase. The FPS started off pretty strong with a significant fps boost, however it would start to lag and the fps would drop down into the single digits sporadically. I assume this is some sort of instability, and it does this with both A-XMP profiles 1 and 2. I'm not sure why this would happen, but I started checking the motherboard/RAM compatibility chart on MSI's website, but their chart had a search feature which was pretty awful since it wouldn't actually do anything when I plugged in the ram model number. Any insight on how to fix this issue with getting the ram up to its rated speed would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all. I recently upgraded my system to a Ryzen 9 5900x, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x16Gb (model number CMW32GX4M2D3600C18), and an MSI MPG x570 gaming edge wifi motherboard. I was running some very basic benchmarks before and after enabling A-XMP with 3DMark timespy to see exactly how much my cpu score would increase. The FPS started off pretty strong with a significant fps boost, however it would start to lag and the fps would drop down into the single digits sporadically. I assume this is some sort of instability, and it does this with both A-XMP profiles 1 and 2. I'm not sure why this would happen, but I started checking the motherboard/RAM compatibility chart on MSI's website, but their chart had a search feature which was pretty awful since it wouldn't actually do anything when I plugged in the ram model number. Any insight on how to fix this issue with getting the ram up to its rated speed would be greatly appreciated!

Thoughts..............make sure the ram is in the proper slots.....see the manual.
Get the proper bios and mobo drivers.
Monitor your cpu and gpu temps.

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
Thoughts..............make sure the ram is in the proper slots.....see the manual.
[/QUOT
Ram sticks are in A2+B2 as instructed in the manual. Bios version is the latest on their support page (7C37v1G). Cpu temps under load max out at ~65c and I’ve never seen the gpu go above 55c.

could you give a zentimings screenshot while running the a-xmp after booting to windows? Also provide thaiphoon burner read, and tell which corsair ver. are your sticks, it should be on the sticker label.

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
could you give a zentimings screenshot while running the a-xmp after booting to windows? Also provide thaiphoon burner read, and tell which corsair ver. are your sticks, it should be on the sticker label.
Chipset driver?
I think this may have fixed the issue. I updated to the latest from MSI's support website, however those were still wildly out of date. Updated from AMD's website, and from the small sample size of one test it seems to be alright. Unfortunately I don't have time to run more since I have to go into work, but I'll be sure to run a few more tests and report back afterwards. Thanks for bringing this to my attention

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
I think this may have fixed the issue. I updated to the latest from MSI's support website, however those were still wildly out of date. Updated from AMD's website, and from the small sample size of one test it seems to be alright. Unfortunately I don't have time to run more since I have to go into work, but I'll be sure to run a few more tests and report back afterwards. Thanks for bringing this to my attention
Update: New chipset drivers did in fact not solve the issue. However, I updated the bios to a much newer beta version and have had no issues since.