Question System intermittently not POSTing ?

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I have a PC with these specs:

Asus ROG Strix B365-G
i5-9400f
Zotac 3060 Ti
8*2 corsair ddr4,
Corsair T-XM 750

My pc has been working fine thus far but yesterday when i powered it on it started but there was no display and the HDD activity indicator was not blinking.

I couldnt switch it off via the power button on the case so i had to turn it off using the PSU power switch.

I tried turning it back on a few times, but even though it started it produced no display during the initial attempts, and it didn't turn off unless i switched it off using the PSU power switch.

Then suddenly after the 6th or 7th attempt it POSTed and displayed a message on the bios screen that said "its running in safe mode due to system instability or failed booting attempts earlier". After that it booted into Windows and worked fine.

I turned it on and off a few times subsequently but didn't experience any issues while POSTing again.

What could have prevented it from POSTing during the earlier attempts ? Is it a sign of any impending failure of any component like the motherboard or PSU ?

Please advise.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

Possibly a loose connection somewhere.

Power down, unplug, open the case. (If you are not comfortable opening the case then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.)

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, jumpers, RAM, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage, missing/loose screws, pinched or kinked wires, melted insulation, bare conductor showing, swollen components, browned or blackened areas, corrosion, cracks, etc.

Reactions: Dadrian Daedalus

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
never used for mining-its only used for gaming during the weekends,that too for not more than 2-3 hours a day.

i have a separate pc for work that's used almost daily,hence this computer lies unused most of the time and is only used for a couple of hours during weekends and holidays.

The psu is around 2 years old (bought in 2020),so i dont think its quite possibly the culprit.

Today i opened up the case and dusted it and checked for loose connections or signs of any other potential problems,but couldn't find anything that was amiss.

Lets hope there won't be anymore hiccups or glitches along the way-i will update this post thread should any problems arise again.

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
update: just a while ago, as i turned on that pc,it started to power cycle non stop.After that i switched it off via the power switch of the psu and restarted it-then it booted up correctly.

I left it aside for a while,switched it off.Then tried to turn it on again-this time there was no power cycling but the pc failed to POST.

As of the time of this writing,it still hasn't posted.

Could it be a psu issue?The power cycling earlier was totally weird and i wonder what could have caused it.