Question System is acting very strange since (used) GPU upgrade

Aug 27, 2022
Here's my system: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/shQmmr

Ever since I upgraded to a used GTX 1080ti (from R9 290x) my whole system has been acting strange. It will randomly turn off with no error code mid-game and take multiple tries to get it to boot into windows. I already tried resetting all overclocks back to stock with no luck. I do notice that when it does restart itself that my boot drive order gets all out of whack if that means anything. Also my motherboard throws in an A2 code during some of the unsuccessful boots into Windows which from research means a drive error. Could it be sheer coincidence that when I installed the 1080ti that my m.2 SSD failed or is something else going on?

Any help or even pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Do you still have your old card to reinstall & see what happens then ?

Although any drive, m.2 or otherwise, can fail at any time, what you are describing with the multiple boot attempts and the drive order randomly changing on it's own, sounds alot like your mob's cmos battery is dying or nearly dead....

Was your1080 new or used ? Perhaps it has a older, outdated or corrupted bios that is causing the other issues, but I kinda doubt it..

And while your at it, check you mobo's bios too, to be certain it is latest version, just in case :)

Reactions: II-Harv-II
Aug 27, 2022
Do you still have your old card to reinstall & see what happens then ?

Although any drive, m.2 or otherwise, can fail at any time, what you are describing with the multiple boot attempts and the drive order randomly changing on it's own, sounds alot like your mob's cmos battery is dying or nearly dead....

Was your1080 new or used ? Perhaps it has a older, outdated or corrupted bios that is causing the other issues, but I kinda doubt it..

And while your at it, check you mobo's bios too, to be certain it is latest version, just in case :)
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely try those steps when I am sober and more complacent