[SOLVED] System is all of a sudden sluggish - what tools or steps to detect issues?

Nov 19, 2019
All of a sudden my entire PC is running very sluggish. Anything I do has a slight lag.

Web browsing, running local programs, opening finder windows, etc.

Its about a year old and pretty robust system:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-9700K Processor (8x 3.60GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
Memory: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 - 8GB
Primary Hard Drive: 240 GB WD Green SSD
Data Hard Drive: 1 TB WD Blue Hard Drive

Ive looked at diagnostic tools and every things appear to be running ok, but its sluggish.

What tools can I use to detect issues or steps can I take to fix this? My system use to be zippy. Could my SSD be failing?

Solution
What capacity is left on your boot drive (SSD)? If it's full,. it can cause slowdowns like that. Anything over 80% could cause it to slow.

Ideally, you want your boot drive with only OS, important programs etc, and approx 50% free disk space for optimum usage.

If the drive is a few years old, it might be worth looking at getting a back up, as they can start to degrade after 3 years depending on what drive you have.
What capacity is left on your boot drive (SSD)? If it's full,. it can cause slowdowns like that. Anything over 80% could cause it to slow.

Ideally, you want your boot drive with only OS, important programs etc, and approx 50% free disk space for optimum usage.

If the drive is a few years old, it might be worth looking at getting a back up, as they can start to degrade after 3 years depending on what drive you have.

Reactions: hanzgruber
Solution
Nov 19, 2019

My SSD was at 75% capacity. I have freed up the space to be at or below 50%. That appears to have worked a little bit. Thanks for the tips.

Is there any diagnostic tools you recommend that can help me optimize things more? I'd like to get my system back to peak performance... like day 1 :)