[SOLVED] System is freezing.

Jul 1, 2020
Hi, 2-3 months ago I built a pc but I have problems. My system is freezing randomly and I do not use cursor or anything else(also sounds are gone)I have to restart by using the button on the case. After restarting, I see no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key message and then I check bios boot settings, my ssd is chosen without error. After few restarts, I can see the desktop.
Gigabyte B450M S2H
RX 5700XT Nitro+ S.E
Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair 2x8 3200Mhz
Adata SX6000 1TB
Cooler Master masterbox mb511 650 watt 80+
Windows 10

Solution
I am going to try boot with USB and I will share my results also I could not find my rams on the motherboard support list.
I'd consider the RAM to be a more likely issue. Just for the sake of troubleshooting, try to boot from a bootable Linux USB. Not a linux installation USB. Make sure you get a version that will boot from a USB, but be warned, it will be slow and can overheat(but I was using USB 2.0). As soon as it gets in, don't be shocked if you open any menus. For me, I was able to move my mouse normally, but even the windows search bar in the bottom left was crashing(yes, crashing, it was dissapearing and then reopening). So as soon as you see it get into Linux, shut off your PC. No point in destroying a working USB drive...

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Well it seems like there sure are issues here. Maybe motherboard problem? Maybe RAM or CPU? Doesn't seem like a GPU problem(that wouldn't affect the boot drive detection) and doesn't seem like an SSD problem(why the freezing? Your RAM should be able to load enough data to at least not be entirely frozen). I'd think it's either a motherboard, CPU or RAM issue. CPU seems a little less likely because it shouldn't affect the detection of your boot drive. RAM could be a culprit, by <Mod Edit> up whatever the SSD is throwing at it on boot and the motherboard could just have been born with it's head screwed on backwards. This is very difficult to say. I'd recommend you go ahead and do some diagnostics(like trying any spare parts you ahve laying around, booting from a different drive, trying just 1 stick of RAM, etc..)

Good luck, im no expert

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ccplayerxx
Jul 1, 2020
Well it seems like there sure are issues here. Maybe motherboard problem? Maybe RAM or CPU? Doesn't seem like a GPU problem(that wouldn't affect the boot drive detection) and doesn't seem like an SSD problem(why the freezing? Your RAM should be able to load enough data to at least not be entirely frozen). I'd think it's either a motherboard, CPU or RAM issue. CPU seems a little less likely because it shouldn't affect the detection of your boot drive. RAM could be a culprit, by <Mod Edit> up whatever the SSD is throwing at it on boot and the motherboard could just have been born with it's head screwed on backwards. This is very difficult to say. I'd recommend you go ahead and do some diagnostics(like trying any spare parts you ahve laying around, booting from a different drive, trying just 1 stick of RAM, etc..)

Good luck, im no expert
I used windows memory diagnostic tool and there is no error about memory.

This issue is a tough one. More information would help. Has your system always had this freezing problem? If not when did it start? Did the start of the problem coincide with any software or hardware changes?

What are your temperatures like? Perhaps you could post a screenshot of hwinfo sensors tab with the system under load

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
My bios is last version but i checked m2 support list and i could not find my m2 ssd.
Not necessarily an issue. ADATA SSDs are a little less common, so official support may not be available, even if it will still work. This is something to look into though. Could be a possible explanation. If you have some sort of hard drive(or even a USB stick) maybe you can try to start it up from that? One thing about USB sticks, when my brothers laptops' hard drive died, I tried to start it up from a microSD card inside a microSD to USB adapter. I had to use a third party application to modify a Windows 10 iso file into a version that would boot from a USB stick. This is kinda shady, but since I wasn't using it to actually try to use the laptop, just to see if it would boot, I don't see what's so bad about it(maybe I should've just used Linux). Anyways, the microSD overheated and crashed(causing the laptop to try to boot from the semi-active HDD). The microSD is broken I think.

So just try to boot with Linux or something and immediatly shut off if you can see that this has any performance benefit over your SSD. Please be careful, don't break your USB drive. Also, make sure there isn't any important files on the drive, since it will be reformated(and all files will be lost). There are videos on how to reformat the drive later, but this won't recover your files, this is just to make the USB able to store data normally again.

If you can find an alternate internal hard drive or SSD, that would be preferable, for sure.

Jul 1, 2020
This issue is a tough one. More information would help. Has your system always had this freezing problem? If not when did it start? Did the start of the problem coincide with any software or hardware changes?

What are your temperatures like? Perhaps you could post a screenshot of hwinfo sensors tab with the system under load
It started when ı bought, it is freezing when I was playing video games or surfing on the web. Some days, it does not freeze. It has no specific time also I checked my temperatures, temperatures are normal levels.

Jul 1, 2020
Not necessarily an issue. ADATA SSDs are a little less common, so official support may not be available, even if it will still work. This is something to look into though. Could be a possible explanation. If you have some sort of hard drive(or even a USB stick) maybe you can try to start it up from that? One thing about USB sticks, when my brothers laptops' hard drive died, I tried to start it up from a microSD card inside a microSD to USB adapter. I had to use a third party application to modify a Windows 10 iso file into a version that would boot from a USB stick. This is kinda shady, but since I wasn't using it to actually try to use the laptop, just to see if it would boot, I don't see what's so bad about it(maybe I should've just used Linux). Anyways, the microSD overheated and crashed(causing the laptop to try to boot from the semi-active HDD). The microSD is broken I think.

So just try to boot with Linux or something and immediatly shut off if you can see that this has any performance benefit over your SSD. Please be careful, don't break your USB drive. Also, make sure there isn't any important files on the drive, since it will be reformated(and all files will be lost). There are videos on how to reformat the drive later, but this won't recover your files, this is just to make the USB able to store data normally again.

If you can find an alternate internal hard drive or SSD, that would be preferable, for sure.
I am going to try boot with USB and I will share my results also I could not find my rams on the motherboard support list.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
I'd consider the RAM to be a more likely issue. Just for the sake of troubleshooting, try to boot from a bootable Linux USB. Not a linux installation USB. Make sure you get a version that will boot from a USB, but be warned, it will be slow and can overheat(but I was using USB 2.0). As soon as it gets in, don't be shocked if you open any menus. For me, I was able to move my mouse normally, but even the windows search bar in the bottom left was crashing(yes, crashing, it was dissapearing and then reopening). So as soon as you see it get into Linux, shut off your PC. No point in destroying a working USB drive. Then, just reformat it in disk manager on your main PC to return it to being used for carrying files(there are tutorials on how to do this).

Good luck, I hope you don't melt your USB(Although a larger USB should be able to spread the heat more effectively)

Solution