[SOLVED] system is on but no display

Jul 6, 2022
quick specs: i5 9400, colorful battle ax c.b360m hd pro v20 mobo, 16 gb corsair sticks, asus tuf 650wb

problem: the system mouse etc turns on but there is no display, i click the numlock button and keyboard is responding

my hdmi is good, the monitor is good, i tried to reset cmos several times, did the ram checks and it was fine, the psu is brand new, and my system had an i3 9100f and a 1050ti(which popped) so i upgraded to i5 9400 and a 30 series rtx but the gpu is not yet here.

i already sold my i3 and since it was a 9th gen i assumed i can upgrade to an i5 second hand with the same gen.

i did all the basic troubleshooting but the thing wont boot up it just stays on with the lights and fans and peripherals but no display.

my theory is either the hdmi port is busted, bios is not compatible(but the i3 9100f worked though?), or please not the cpu (i saw it work on the sellers motherboard ).
any thoughts? what did i miss?

Solution
Nevermind guys solved it, bought a z370 mobo and i was right the b360 chipset had issues among intel 9th gen procies, apparently some boards work even with the v1 chipset but some needs to update bios which i cant waste time on so i just bought a second hand z board.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

the psu is brand new, and my system had an i3 9100f and a 1050ti(which popped) so i upgraded to i5 9400 and a 30 series rtx but the gpu is not yet here.
How did the GPU...pop?

This the PSU you're working with;
?
If so, how old is the unit?

If the issue cropped up as soon as you switched to the i5 processor, inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins. You sure you didn't get the i5-9400F SKU?

In order to rule out the CPU you got which is used, test it out on another known working motherboard. Same story for your GPU. Also;
30 series rtx
Might want to mention the make and model of the GPU. RTX 30 series doesn't exactly narrow things down. People have ruined a brand new GPU since their PSU wasn't capable of delivering necessary power to the entire system while the new GPU was in.

Reactions: brynph
Jul 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

the psu is brand new, and my system had an i3 9100f and a 1050ti(which popped) so i upgraded to i5 9400 and a 30 series rtx but the gpu is not yet here.
How did the GPU...pop?

This the PSU you're working with;
?
If so, how old is the unit?

If the issue cropped up as soon as you switched to the i5 processor, inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins. You sure you didn't get the i5-9400F SKU?

In order to rule out the CPU you got which is used, test it out on another known working motherboard. Same story for your GPU. Also;
30 series rtx
Might want to mention the make and model of the GPU. RTX 30 series doesn't exactly narrow things down. People have ruined a brand new GPU since their PSU wasn't capable of delivering necessary power to the entire system while the new GPU was in.
thankyou!

the gpu popped due to age(8-10 yrs passed down from my older bro), i used it on my last system then bought an i3 9th gen and the motherboard bnew cuz its the cheapest,

the motherboard, ram and ssd almost 2 yrs old but psu brand new and yes thats the psu,

the issue happened when i replaced the i3 yes , its the 9400 im sure i saw it in the bios at the seller's shop, and i checked the socket theres no bent pins( im gonna check again see if i miss anything),

i cannot check the cpu in another mobo at the moment but i might try to go at a pc shop tomorrow, the gpu is not here yet so im trying to boot with the intel uhd 630 but the gpu is a bnew zotac 3060 non ti cuz its getting cheaper in my country..

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022
Nevermind guys solved it, bought a z370 mobo and i was right the b360 chipset had issues among intel 9th gen procies, apparently some boards work even with the v1 chipset but some needs to update bios which i cant waste time on so i just bought a second hand z board.

Solution