Jun 22, 2021
BOOT_DEVICE_LED stays lit up RED

Motherboard ASUS Z97A
i7-4790k
GPU MSI GTX 970 4
RAM CORSAIR DDR3 8gb
PSU CORSAIR CS550M
SSD HDD

I don't have knowledge about pc stuff, but I can learn.

Last edited:
Solution
I do not know. How do I check the version when the monitor is showing only blank?

If you haven't updated the bios before, you can check the rev number on the motherboard, it should be printed on there.

It's either your motherboard, usb drives, CD/DVD, PSU, CPU, GPU. Basically it could be anything.
Try moving the GPU from the first slot to the bottom as well. And try with one ram stick, one might be faulty.

Or most likely the ssd? Has it been in use before or is it brand new?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you remove the GTX 970 and use the integrated video, does the behavior change?

Also, if you plan to install these components into a case, it seems that your CPU cooler fans (at least the one we can see in the picture) is blowing air in the wrong direction (for most cases). Flip that fan to blow the opposite direction. The second fan should match the direction and should match the direction of a typical case fan.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you know if the BIOS is version 1008, or newer?

Any beeps when the system starts?

Jun 22, 2021
What did you do to try to get into the BIOS? Typically, hitting the 'Delete' key repeatedly immediately after hitting the power switch does the trick.
I tried it, same with my vga monitor or my dpi monitor or my hdmi tv, they all blank no asus logo or anything.

Do you know if the BIOS is version 1008, or newer?

Any beeps when the system starts?
I do not know. How do I check the version when the monitor is showing only blank?

I tried using earbuds but no beeps.

Last edited:

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015

If you haven't updated the bios before, you can check the rev number on the motherboard, it should be printed on there.

It's either your motherboard, usb drives, CD/DVD, PSU, CPU, GPU. Basically it could be anything.
Try moving the GPU from the first slot to the bottom as well. And try with one ram stick, one might be faulty.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 22, 2021
Remove the ssd and try again to see if you can get into the bios. One other thing you can try is to remove the battery so that the BIOS resets. But this seems more like a PSU problem

I tried without SSD, blank from the start.

Is it weird that also think that the PSU is problem? Based on because this system experienced forced shutdown more than 100 times (it was so often back then, I lost count how many), mostly because blackout. I also rarely turn off the system, mostly restart or sleep condition. Most of the time when the system is off, it is because the system experienced forced shutdown (blackout, etc) or I safely shutdown because I go out for more than 1 day and when I clean the system.

Last edited:

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
It could be the PSU yeah. Especially if you often have blackouts, your PSU could be damaged from power surges that often accompanies an outage. But then so could your SSD, motherboard, basically all other components.

But there really isn't a solid way to know until you have trouble shooted all parts.

I would just try the basics,
Try with only the psu connected.
Single channel ram stick in the different DIMM slots.
Remove the SSD/HDD, and try different SATA ports.
Remount CPU.
Move the GPU to another Pcie and try different outputs. Try without the adapter.
Reflash the bios via flashback (If possible)
CMOS clear.

then go on to swapping out parts.

Buy with that old system, if you go that route. A complete upgrade would be better (minus the gpu for now)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021
It could be the PSU yeah. Especially if you often have blackouts, your PSU could be damaged from power surges that often accompanies an outage. But then so could your SSD, motherboard, basically all other components.

But there really isn't a solid way to know until you have trouble shooted all parts.

I would just try the basics,
Try with only the psu connected.
Single channel ram stick in the different DIMM slots.
Remove the SSD/HDD, and try different SATA ports.
Remount CPU.
Move the GPU to another Pcie and try different outputs. Try without the adapter.
Reflash the bios via flashback (If possible)
CMOS clear.

then go on to swapping out parts.

Buy with that old system, if you go that route. A complete upgrade would be better (minus the gpu for now)
My guess is either the motherboard or the PSU. Can you borrow a PSU and try it? You can likely find a Z97 motherboard on Ebay.
I tried. I found that the GPU temperature is hot (not really hot but just hot, considering it's doing nothing) even my GPU fans are not running and the screen is blank, brand led is light up. Is this normal? Is it because the CPU heatsink above it?

Is my i7-4790k dead? How do I check?

I brought my PSU to a computer service shop to check the PSU with their system but the guy said PSU is okay but he won't let me see the post screen with my own eyes, was he lying? I don't know.

Is MB the culprit?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021
Thanks everyone for your time. I put all back in. That's a wrap. Time to focus on other things.

System first run April 4th 2015.
Never had problems.

First problem, this.
System last run June 24th 2021.

Ugh cables, that's my bad. Sorry, this is my first system I built myself.

Until then.