Question System is stable when booting from SSD but it's constant WHEA errors when booting from NVME - how to troubleshoot? 5600G and B450

Mar 16, 2023
I started my build this week and everything seemed fine - I breadboarded the setup and installed Windows 10 Pro on a 2.5" SSD with no issues. The drivers were the one's that came through with Windows Update.

The problems came when I tried to boot from the new NVME drive - BSOD's soon reared their ugly heads and once they started they would come up more and more often until I couldn't even boot into Windows.

I've downloaded the AMD drivers using their utility and copied them to a different location. I disconnected the network, removed the drivers and then installed the AMD drivers and things seemed fine. Then after a few minutes it would go back to the same WHEA cycle.

I've tried changing settings in the BIOS (B450 Aorus Elite Mobo) and at one point, things seemed hopeful - then died again! Not touched the ram or any OC settings.

I've connected the SSD again this morning and ran a quick Linpack test on OCCT with no issues - I'm lost!

If it was a PSU issue, surely it would be the same for an NVME or SSD? Could the CPU be to blame?

First of all, what would you look for when it comes to BIOS settings for a Ryzen 5600G using the onboard graphics, what would you suggest changing?

What's the best procedure when it comes to downloading the correct drivers - I've downloaded the latest AMD Adrenaline package and took them from there without letting the installer finish (whenever I've let the installer run to the end, it's ALWAYS BSOS'd on the first reboot (I've lost count of how many times I've done a clean install). Looking in the BIOS I saw a reference for Realtek pcie gbe family controller under the NVME settings - would these be the correct drivers?

This isn't my first build but it's my first AMD and at this rate, it may be my last - I'm hoping the good folk on here can help me out with some suggestions to save my system and my sanity!

Update 1 I tried booting from the SSD, wiping the second drive so I could try cloning the boot drive over (just to see if it would be more stable, obviously not a long term option) but just before it could complete, I got CLONE FAILED - ERROR 8 - WRITE FAILED - 433 - A DEVICE WHICH DOES NOT EXIST WAS SPECIFIED! I ran CHKDSK and it didnt bring up any errors.

Last edited: