[SOLVED] System issues - is it time to give up and upgrade?

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I have been running an FX-6350 on an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB and an Nvidia GTX950 SSC card. It ran without a flaw for the longest time, but within the last 6 months or so, I am plagued with random freezes. I have exhausted memory testing, drive testing, updating drivers, switching hardware, etc.
I think it might be time to move on
I am a modest gamer and the current system has been fine for me. I would like to do a CPU/MB with RAM and graphics card upgrade. The case and everything else would stay. I am thinking of picking up perhaps a 1060 card for now and later maybe a Ryzen 2600X set up when I can afford it. Would this be a good matchup for a budget minded casual gamer like myself?

I am thinking of the card first as it would give me a chance to see if the GPU has been causing issues in my current system.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

P.S. would I need to pay for another windows 10 OS?

Solution
Yeah it's time for an upgrade. By the time you're ready to build, you'll probably have more 2000 series graphics cards to choose from. They'll be non-RTX so they will be more budget friendly. If you end up getting close to June and you still haven't built yet, wait for the Ryzen 3rd gen processor release. Make sure you log into your computer with an e-mail account, so the license will be tied to you e-mail account for your next build. What version of windows 10 did you get? OEM or Retail?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/49586-determine-if-windows-license-type-oem-retail-volume.html
Yeah it's time for an upgrade. By the time you're ready to build, you'll probably have more 2000 series graphics cards to choose from. They'll be non-RTX so they will be more budget friendly. If you end up getting close to June and you still haven't built yet, wait for the Ryzen 3rd gen processor release. Make sure you log into your computer with an e-mail account, so the license will be tied to you e-mail account for your next build. What version of windows 10 did you get? OEM or Retail?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/49586-determine-if-windows-license-type-oem-retail-volume.html

Solution

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
It is retail version. I am signed in with my email account I believe, though I have the password disable for now.

I did uninstall several unused softwares and went so far as dropping a 1060 card into it, figuring to transfer it to my eventual upgrade. So far, I have noticed a big difference in performance. I have been on the computer non-stop and have yet to have another freeze. I begin to suspect Mcaffe software that came bundled with something else. Both Mcaffe and Avast were installed and wondered if there was a conflict causing issues.