Question System lags, then sound stops working ?

Yourganked

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2016
Sorry for the long winded post...

I built my computer a few months ago and have had this issue from the start. It's starting to become more common which is worrying and of course annoying.

Anyhow, seemingly at random I'll hear a bit of static in my headset, combined with a brief moment of lag. After this all sound in my system stops working, input and output. The only remedy for it is to reset my system or to open my sound panel and disable and re-enable my output/input. Sometimes it'll be good for a bit, sometimes it will immediately happen again. (HyperX cloud headset)

I've tried reinstalling drivers a few times and tweaking some settings within the Sound screen to no avail. Windows troubleshooter just has me reinstall drivers which acts as a remedy just like disabling and re-enabling does for me.

The only hint I can give you happened a total of one time. I was watching a video on YT. I heard the static, the lag happened, sound went out - but this time my video went black and YT said something along the lines of "YouTube Audio Renderer Error".

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are your able to try your headset on another audio device of any sort?

Or try some other known working (no static) headset on your system?

Determine if the problem follows the headset or stays with your build.

= = = =

I would start by physically inspecting the build.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, card, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Hopefully something has just come a bit loose. Especially with a new build. No one wants to force anything so what felt tight and secure during the build may not actually be tight and secure. Or just case loose anyway due to heat related expansion and contraction, And/or vibrations.

Then look for signs of damage using a bright flashlight:

Cracked connectors, bare conductor showing, signs of melting, pinched or kinked wires, missing or loose screws, swollen components, browned or blackened areas,

Pay close attention to the I/O panel. Look for signs of damage, bending, debris in ports, etc..

Yourganked

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2016
Sorry for the long winded post...

I built my computer a few months ago and have had this issue from the start. It's starting to become more common which is worrying and of course annoying.

Anyhow, seemingly at random I'll hear a bit of static in my headset, combined with a brief moment of lag. After this all sound in my system stops working, input and output. The only remedy for it is to reset my system or to open my sound panel and disable and re-enable my output/input. Sometimes it'll be good for a bit, sometimes it will immediately happen again. (HyperX cloud headset)

I've tried reinstalling drivers a few times and tweaking some settings within the Sound screen to no avail. Windows troubleshooter just has me reinstall drivers which acts as a remedy just like disabling and re-enabling does for me.

The only hint I can give you happened a total of one time. I was watching a video on YT. I heard the static, the lag happened, sound went out - but this time my video went black and YT said something along the lines of "YouTube Audio Renderer Error".

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Couldn't figure out how to edit my post. So will reply with my specs.

EVGA 3080ti
INTEL 12900K
AUROS ELITE Z690
64GB (for the meme) CORSAIR RAM
Samsung NVMe 1tb + 2tb
Noctua fan (black)
Windows 10

Yourganked

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2016

= = = =

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, card, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Hopefully something has just come a bit loose. Especially with a new build. No one wants to force anything so what felt tight and secure during the build may not actually be tight and secure. Or just case loose anyway due to heat related expansion and contraction, And/or vibrations.

Cracked connectors, bare conductor showing, signs of melting, pinched or kinked wires, missing or loose screws, swollen components, browned or blackened areas,

Pay close attention to the I/O panel. Look for signs of damage, bending, debris in ports, etc..

= = = =

Thank you for the reply. To save everyone's time. A full teardown and cleanup has solved the issue so far, knock on wood (about 12hrs gaming).

I haven't tried any other headset as I don't have one, and all my friends have the same one.

I have not had it happen when my audio is coming through my "monitor" which feeds audio through separate speakers. But I spend 98% of the time with my headset on so hard to tell.

I thoroughly inspected the mobo, all connections, etc. and noticed no signs of damage. My mobo has an "advanced thermal design with integrated IO shield" which doesn't have an apparent way of removal, which at that point, is above my expertise. So I inspected all the ports and made sure they were thoroughly dusted out.

Hopefully I touched on everything. But, as I said above, your recommendation of a teardown/clean up has worked so far. I GREATLY appreciate the suggestion and I hope it holds up!!! Thank you.

Yourganked

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2016
From where are you sourcing the drivers?
Thank you for the reply. I sourced them from HyperX's website and I tried Window's automatic driver download.

I did a teardown and cleanup and it's solved the problem so far after 12 hours of gaming.

On my very first build, I had an issue in the past of a (I believe) rogue Razer Synapse driver that I was only able to fix after completing wiping my drives and starting from scratch. So I really hope it's not driver related haha. Only time will tell at this point.