[SOLVED] System locking up up after minutes whilst gaming

Nov 3, 2018
I posted about this on Nov 4th, 2018 but the thread didn't get any responses. So, I'm making a new thread as I'm pretty sure that other thread has been completely buried at this point.

So, first off, the issue that I'm dealing with is that my PC completely locks up after a few minutes when gaming. The game doesn't matter, the result is the same: Everything freezes, the fans ramp up slightly and only a manual Reset works at that point.

Event Viewer shows nothing that would give me any clue as to the reason for the crash. Windows Memory Diagnostic and Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool both showed no errors.

I've swapped out the Videocard, the PSU, and the Motherboard; same result every time. I cannot afford to swap out the CPU, and so I'm hoping that isn't the issue here.

PC Specs are as follows:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1199MHz (11-13-13-31)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD))
1863GB Seagate ST2000DX002-2DV164 (SATA )

__
Please let me know if I need to provide any other information to help diagnose this issue.

Solution
I assume you're installing the OS on your SSD, I also suggest trying to make a fresh install on another disk and trying that one out as your system disk without that SSD connected.

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Are you getting this lockup/freezing only while playing games or running other software as well?
By the way I doubt it's your cpu otherwise your pc probably wouldn't even post in the first place.

Also have you tried running your games on another OS/partition/disk? Maybe your operating system/partition/disk is to blame, so try your games on another disk/OS.

Nov 3, 2018
Are you getting this lockup/freezing only while playing games or running other software as well?
By the way I doubt it's your cpu otherwise your pc probably wouldn't even post in the first place.

Also have you tried running your games on another OS/partition/disk? Maybe your operating system/partition/disk is to blame, so try your games on another disk/OS.
It's just in games, I was able to run UNIGINE's Heaven Benchmark for quite awhile without issue.

Since I've tried almost everything else, aside from a fresh install of Windows 10, I'll try that and see what happens.

Nov 3, 2018
I assume you're installing the OS on your SSD, I also suggest trying to make a fresh install on another disk and trying that one out as your system disk without that SSD connected.
Ok, if reinstalling Windows on the current SSD doesn't work out I will see about slapping another drive in there. I don't have another SSD, but I do have a Hybrid that'd work fine for testing purposes.

Nov 3, 2018
Ok, used the option to "Reset" Windows and then immediately got a game up an running (opted to keep personal files installed). So far, no crashes, to think it would have been something so simple. I'm going to continue gaming and other such things to see if the crash occurs down the line.

I will reply to this post in a few days, tops, and update (if it doesn't crash before that point). Thanks for the suggestions rscheetah30 and jay32267.

Reactions: DMAN999
Nov 3, 2018
Really you should do a fresh install (format drive and clean install) instead of just resetting Windows.
If this ends up crashing I will definitely give that an attempt. This was just something simple that I could do as a test. I didn't expect results and would have done a fresh install had it failed to provide any.