System locks for video playback and directx

Starbase89

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hello.
I have been having a problem where whenever I try to play a video file (AVI, MPG, etc) and whenever I try to run a program which involves DirectX, the computer will lock up and has to be restarted before doing anything further. About 30 to 45 seconds into playback of a video or use of a program that involves DirectX, the screen will freeze, the sound will stutter for 5 or so seconds and then the screen goes blank (though the backlight on the monitor stays on, implying it is still getting some kind of signal.)

Is anyone familiar with this issue? Can anyone help me out?

The system specs:
Gateway GT5676
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core
3GB DDR2 Memory
ATI Radeon 3200HD integrated graphics
Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
Netgear WPN311 RangeMax Wireless
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit, Service Pack 2

Thanks
Joe

Not knowing what you are using for media player, you might consider going to Softpedia, and download some alternatives.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Players/

Starbase89

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
That wouldn't make any sense. I doubt that every AVI file I come across is corrupt. AVG, along with the built in windows thing keep malware out. There are no extraneous processes running. And corrupt AVI files wouldn't explain the problems with directx.

try in elevated command prompt:

sfc /scannow

One more thing, I am not sure if that option is available in integrated graphics, but try disable powerplay in CCC. Also try disable the window Aero and those fancy effect, just have visual style window button, desktop composition, thumbnail instead of icon and smooth edge text.