Question System losing signal with sound + sometimes restarting

Dec 5, 2023
Hey all, I have a serious problem with my system and am in need of some help. I had this problem start 6-7 months ago, I had just purchased a new GPU previously and had no issues for months (Strix Radeon RX580) I started having very rare issues of loosing display signal, this got progressively worse and worse over a month or two, to the point it was happening every time I started a game. I ended up taking my system to my local tech and he concluded a "dogey" GPU. Sure ok. $500 bucks later I have a new GPU (I'm Aus so prices are utter BS) and the issue seemed to have stopped.

6 months go by untill yesterday, and bam. Issue starts again. It happened once and after a restart seemed to be ok, but today its just. Constant. Every time I open a game. Black screens, signal loss error, sound still plays and system seems to accept inputs for several minutes before hard locking up.

I can watch youtube, multiple videos at once, have 100 tabs open, play browser games etc all day and no issue. I can START games, sit at main menus with 0 issue, but the second the game world loads, down it all goes. Doesnt matter how light or heavy the game is, its happened from WoW, to Ark, to STO to GoW, CP2027, Starfield, RDR2. ETC.

Things I have tried.

Updating GPU drivers
Complete Reinstall of drivers using DDU.
Windows update including optionals.
Complete Windows reinstall.
Bought brand new HDMI ande DP cables.
Run Nvida in various modes
Installed some Shell fixes that apparently fixes some issue
Completely stripped my system down, cleaned and checked for damages/made sure components were seated correctly. ETC
Reset CMOS
Tested internal graphics with no issues other than it running things at 2-fps slideshows -_-
Run Furmark for instanst crashes
Run single monitor/different monitors

Things I have NOT tried.

Updating the BIOS, Aisuite says it has no updates and im not confident enough to do it manuallly
Messed with OC/UC, again not confident enough to mess with such things.
Tested a new PSU. I have no access to a test unit and only buying a new one as a last resort, beacuse again, Aus prices.

So guys, any thoughts? I'm actually very worried its an issue with something else in my system thats bricking my GPUs and not actually the GPU themselves since the chances of buying 2 GPUS in a row from two differnt brands that have the same issue are low I would asume?

My system

Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 750 B2
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 39 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1063MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H370M-PLUS (LGA1151) 42 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 1402
Date 4/3/2019
Graphics
LG ULTRAGEAR (1920x1080@165Hz)
TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (MSI) 50 °C
Storage
931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) 36 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Dec 5, 2023
I'm unfamiliar with event viewer, but from what i can see, in the "Critical" tabs there is a lot of "Kernal-power" errors. "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I assume this is from me resetting power and not whats caused the initial problem?

I really don't know what is important information to relay here, the Information section has hundreds of entries and all looks ..benign?
The Error section has quite a lot of "Metadata staging failed, result=0x80072EFE for container '{00000000-0000-0000-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF}'" entries though
And "nvlddmkm" also has uh..a lot of entries in the last 24h. (87 instances) "
The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023
I spent the night scouring for more solutions, not much else aside from checking my RAM, which I actually didn't do, I now have, both seem to be working just fine. I'm leaning towards it being the PSU, pretty sure the one I have is pushing 10 years? I haven't had it installed that long, and I cant remember if its been 5 years or 3, But I see reviews for it from 2015 so its an older unit, I did find some thread with somebody asking to provide this information (there ultimately was no solution) so I don't know if this is helpful or not.

https://tinypic.host/image/AQb84