[SOLVED] System Majorly Underperforming

mattpmariani

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
I've noticed in the last week or so that my hardware performance when playing games has drastically decreased. Where I once was getting 70-100 frames on high settings, I now hover around 30-40. My GPU drivers are up to date and I've installed all of the motherboard drivers for my board that I could find. Windows is updated and I have rebooted my pc between each of three similar benchmarks I ran.

Today's Benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46656737
Recent(1-2 months ago) Benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45125534
both benchmarks were run with few to no applications open

As you can see, the difference between the two is significant. All of my hardware, except maybe my crappy 4TB HDD, are now performing much worse than they were just a short time ago. I have no clue what's causing this and I'm considering a full system wipe.

Note: I took this first benchmark when I had an issue where my RAM wasn't running at the correct speed but I was able to fix that in the BIOS and all of my other hardware was performing well.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB
PSU: EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO LGA1151

Solution
1.) These tests were run not long after boot, so I'm not sure how thermal throttling would have affected the results.

2.) The amount of available space between both tests is more or less the same.

3.) Unless the timings changed on their own somehow, both tests have the same settings. CPU-Z and UserBenchmark both state that, in both runs, my memory is clocked at 3200Mhz.
Grab a copy of hwinfo and monitor the temps just to see if something is getting too hot.
Get that piece of the puzzle out of the mix.

mattpmariani

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
1)Cpu thermal throttling; average turbo is lower than base clock.
Highest priority to fix.

2)All your storage drives are too full, really.

3)Ram. Probably didn't set something right with the timings compared to the 1st run.

1.) These tests were run not long after boot, so I'm not sure how thermal throttling would have affected the results.

3.) Unless the timings changed on their own somehow, both tests have the same settings. CPU-Z and UserBenchmark both state that, in both runs, my memory is clocked at 3200Mhz.

Grab a copy of hwinfo and monitor the temps just to see if something is getting too hot.
Get that piece of the puzzle out of the mix.

Solution