System: Motherboard and Power supply?

Newbster

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hi there,

I'm trying to configure a Gaming system and this is what I came up with until now. I care a great deal abt price, but I also want a pretty strong system:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 6 Core Processor 2.8GHZ Socket AM3 Retail Box
CPU Cooling: Zalman CNPS9700NT (although I had a long look at Noctua NH-D14, but it was more expensive)
DDR3 Memory: OCZ OCZ3G1333LV4GK 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 CL 9-9-9-20 Dual Channel Memory Kit
Video Card: Radeon HD 5750 700MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.6GHZ PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI Display Port
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
Power Supply: Coolmaster Silent Pro 1000W Modular
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750 GB SATA 2
Network Card: D-LINK DFE-530TX Fast PCI 10/100 Network Card
Sound Card: Diamond Xtreme Sound 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card
DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW DVD Writer SATA OEM - Black

Motherboard: for now, ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 DDR3 mATX 1PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI Video GBLAN, though I have no clue which motherboard I should choose for this configuration. I would like something that's pretty cheap (say 100-150$ max), but I don't want to compromise; i can either buy ASUS EVGA, gigabyte or MSI, as this is what the company i'm buying from offers.

There are a couple of questions:
1. What would be a good motherboard for the parts i'm buying?
2. is the power supply too much for this configuration and is it a good power supply? it only costs about $166 and there are 800W power supplies that go for more, so i'm wondering if there's a catch?
3. any other things i might be missing or I should think about upgrading/ I could go cheaper on?
4. is the CPU/video card combo a good one for gaming (please consider the price as well, intel can be much more expensive than AMD)?

Thanks in advance!

1. You could get this, which would give you SATA6G, USB 3 and two PCI-E 2.0 lanes at x8 each, thus giving you the opportunity to crossfire: ASRock 870 EXTREME3. If you aren't prepared to go Asrock, and still want SATA6G and USB3 then the next one that can support crossfire is this: GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3.

2. That is serious overkill for a system with a 5750 - you could do a system with two 5750s on a 550W PSU, probably even less. Yes it is a good power supply, the Silent Pro line from Cooler Master is one of their better ones - this particular one is designed by CM, but built by FSP.

3. I don't think that Zalman cooler is worth the price, there are better ones for cheaper (based on newegg's prices) nominally the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B.

4. Unless you have a very low resolution, then no. Very few games justify having six cores, so you would be better off getting a 955 and then spending what you've saved upping to at least a 5770. If you cut down on the PSU a bit, then you could probably go up to a GTX 460, and you would have made a massive improvement over a 5750.

I care a great deal abt price, but I also want a pretty strong system:

In summary: u hit in many places cept the ones that matter for a decent gaming rig for the $$ hehe
$664AR
Untitled-853.jpg