Question System needs PSU Paperclip jump to start - Please help

Koustav

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
I have a really weird issue. I recently was trying to install a riser (ROG Strix Riser Cable | Gaming Cases|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com) ) for my 3080FE after changing to PCIE 3.0 in the BIOS for my x570 mobo, and for some reason, my system decided to not POST after shutdown. I tried everything but the system just wont power up. So initially, I did all the below checks:
  1. Checked if all connections from PSU were plugged in properly.
  2. Moved GPU from riser to mobo.
  3. Removed GPU altogether
  4. Jumped the power button pins of case
  5. Tried booting with single RAM.
  6. Tried separate plug points.
  7. Tried different PSU power cable.
  8. Removed CMOS
  9. Jumped the CLRTC pins
Post trying all this, I decided to paperclip test my PSU and it turned on. I switched off PSU, inserted the 24 Pin back in the mobo and system just booted up. So, I thought my PSU was done for and went ahead and bought another PSU. Again, same issue.

As of now, if I have to turn on my PC after a shutdown, i have to first paperclip the 4th and 5th pin, and then insert the 24 pin back in mobo and press the start button. Once the system starts, everything seems to be running normally, temperatures are normal and I went ahead and benchmarked a few games but no crashes or overheating or anything.

All the fans on mobo are working, no error QLED on MOBO, LED's are working and everything seems to be normal. Except, after every shutdown, I have to jump the 4th and 5th pins on 24 pin connector with a paperclip and thats only when it will start.

Below are my system specs:
Ryzen 5600x
32gb Gskill tridentZ
3080FE
Asus tuf x570 gaming plus wifi motherboard
Asus Rog strix 750W PSU and Antec HCG 850W PSU (Bought on the day I am making the post)

Have tried both the PSU's and its the same thing. Have to jump the pins to ensure my system POSTs.

Is this an indicator my mobo is the issue? But everything seems to be working fine so far.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see if breadboarding the PC atop your motherboard box without the riser cables exhibits the same issue as you've stated above. Speaking of motherboard, what BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing?

Koustav

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
You might want to see if breadboarding the PC atop your motherboard box without the riser cables exhibits the same issue as you've stated above. Speaking of motherboard, what BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing?

Currently using Bios Version 3202 Beta.

The riser cable is removed. The GPU is directly on the mobo now.

Reactions: MrFreak555