[SOLVED] System noise - constant and continous humming ?

RagnaSE

Commendable
Nov 22, 2020
Just wondering. I assembled my computer some time ago - and recently we hung it up a wall so there is more room on the desk and under - also, the case allowed for wall hanging and it looks kind of neat - just in case you are wondering why one would hang a computer on a wall.

Since then, i noticed that the computer is anything but silent - or rather, i only noticed that it was actually pretty loud, when i heard something "winding down" last night .. which i would guess ... must be some fan. There are quite a lot of them in the system. But i cannot figure out which fan it is .. i tried going really close to each fan .. and they are all very silent. Maybe someone has a suggestion what might make a winding noise in a computer.

• Thermaltake c3 (or p3?) case, which sadly is open to all sides, but looks kind of pretty
  • an Arctic 280mm cpu cooler with a little fan on the pump but it really is tiny - this one is still quite new. Only got it like half a year ago
  • a quadro rtx 5000 with a single fan that rarely spins at all it seems - this one is old, i think - we got it used with very little information about its former usage
  • a fan that we glued on the heatsinks of the motherboard to cool down the chips around the cpu - not sure if that is the culprit - but it does not "wind down" .. it is plugged into the "case fan" plug and seems to spin all the time regardless - my suspicion is that this must be it. It is the only fan that spins all the time ... and it is not installed correctly but only glued on.
  • a seasonic connect - with the hybrid mode enabled (i think it is hard to reach the button) and i think the fan rarely spins or never really has. - This one is brand new, i do not suspect it to make any noise.
There is nothing else in the system with moving parts i think.

again - the problem is not so much that it hums .. its when it stops humming and you realize how loud it has been. One actually gets used to the humming

Solution
they make such a noise? Yes, i have an old hard drive installed - but it had always been quiet when the computer was sitting down.

Ok, i just pressed my ear on the computer .. it really is the hard drive that makes such a noise! Thanks for the heads up indeed. Time to replace it i guess.
high sound frequency from above is more noticeable then from below

u can use rubber on areas where it touches case, to reduce sound transfer to your case coupled with noise absorption material around it, so it wont go directly to your ears

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Transformer coil humming on the PSU is also a possibility. These aren't a "moving part", but they can make noise. But I think I'd agree with the previous poster that you may simply be hearing the spindle on the hard drive.

It's rather easy to eliminate fans from the equation, though. Just use a pencil to briefly stop each fan in the system. If the noise continues -- it's not that fan.

RagnaSE

Commendable
Nov 22, 2020
mechanical harddrive?
optical drive?

they make such a noise? Yes, i have an old hard drive installed - but it had always been quiet when the computer was sitting down.

Ok, i just pressed my ear on the computer .. it really is the hard drive that makes such a noise! Thanks for the heads up indeed. Time to replace it i guess.

high sound frequency from above is more noticeable then from below

u can use rubber on areas where it touches case, to reduce sound transfer to your case coupled with noise absorption material around it, so it wont go directly to your ears

Solution

TRENDING THREADS