System not able to format new NVMe ssd

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Just got a new Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD, one of the ones that screws into the motherboard (not SATA). Plugged it in and screwed as instructed but it doesnt show up in where you would go to format it. Windows recognizes it in Device Manager by its name and everything but not in Disk Management or File Explorer. Upon researching more I realized it requires a PCIe 3.0 X4 slot? I looked on my motherboard's website and it says it supports up to PCIe 3.0 X4 but also says it only has 1 PCIe 3.0 X16 (for the GPU) and 2 PCIe 3.0 X1 slots (for wifi cards or whatever) but no X4 slot. My question is how do I make this work, if at all? I know there are adapter cards that go into the X1 slot but those limit performance supposedly. I just don't know why it would have a slot for a NVMe SSD and not work.

Motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B250M-PRO-VDH.html

SSD i got: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evo/

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Unfortunately I can't right now but it shows my ADATA SSD and my 2 HDDs in device manager, as well as "Samsung 970 Evo 500GB" or something like that. In file explorer it doesn't show up because its not formatted. I go to format it in the Disk Management and its literally just not there at all, not as unallocated or lumped in with something else. Just not there. I went into the BIOS and it shows up in there and when i tried to fresh install Windows onto it via disc it doesnt show up as an option.

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
I am using Windows 10 Home and was trying to install that to the new SSD just to see if for whatever reason it wouldnt work without having the OS on it. That was after expending my other options though unfortunately.

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Well I guess I'll have to do that when Im able to as well as unplug my other drives and install Windows again and see if that works. I guess it makes sense it needs an OS seeing as its the fastest drive in there/"best". I'll just have to delete system stuff off my other SSD I guess. Will update later when I can and see if this works.

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Update: Got home and unplugged my other drives so just my new SSD is plugged in as well as the dvd drive for the Windows boot disc. Looked in the bios and in Windows for some way to disable CSM but couldn't find an option. The only thing I could think of is theres a option called "boot options" in the bios but its greyed out so I can't access it. Tried to boot off an USB with a Windows Media Creation ISO on it made by a program called Rufus that seemed to work for others. No luck here, boots up and then doesn't recognize that its a Windows boo device. Now trying with the Windows disc and just staring at a blank screen. Alsp tried switching from Legacy+UEFI to just UEFI in bios boot options but that doesn't seem to have changed anything. At a loss of what to do once again I'm afraid.

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Update on my update: CSM is for Asus MoBos. In MSI its called "Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support". Supposedly does the same thing however it was disable already. Going to enable it to see if it changes anything.

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Update: Enabled it and it didnt seem to fix anything. It made the USB with Windows on it work but my SSD still doesn't show up in available drives to install windows on. Also doesn't show up anywhere else either. Tried uninstalling drivers for the SSD and removing it like it was a first install. Didn't work however, still recognizes in Device Manager but no where else.

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
It was just sitting in one of the screen shots I posted earlier in a "storage pool" thing. Which I assumed was something else (still don't really know what it is). One of the options was to make a storage space where it asked for a drive letter and everything so I think maybe this is right? Still doesn't show up in Samsung Magician but I really couldn't care less now lol.

You have to remove 970 evo from storage pool and delete storage pool.
And don't use drive letter A: . It is reserved for floppy drives.
Also remove drive letter from D: . BTW you can delete System reserved partition from Disk 0. It is not necessary.

5575865a3391bfeb86badc5657340e8a.png

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Yeah I've discovered that now when trying to remove it from the storage pool it says it needs another drive to replace it. So I try and add another I don't care about and it won't let me because it's "in use" by the system. Just because it's formatted it thinks its in use. How do I just delete it altogether? Because I don't care about having a storage pool or whatever.

Attached is where I'm at now: https://gyazo.com/18b4c45c960e90504f4fa6d4fdab1d6a

edit: it wont let me remove the ssd from the pool even though it says its ready

Aug 23, 2019
Just got a new Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD, one of the ones that screws into the motherboard (not SATA). Plugged it in and screwed as instructed but it doesnt show up in where you would go to format it. Windows recognizes it in Device Manager by its name and everything but not in Disk Management or File Explorer. Upon researching more I realized it requires a PCIe 3.0 X4 slot? I looked on my motherboard's website and it says it supports up to PCIe 3.0 X4 but also says it only has 1 PCIe 3.0 X16 (for the GPU) and 2 PCIe 3.0 X1 slots (for wifi cards or whatever) but no X4 slot. My question is how do I make this work, if at all? I know there are adapter cards that go into the X1 slot but those limit performance supposedly. I just don't know why it would have a slot for a NVMe SSD and not work.

Motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B250M-PRO-VDH.html

SSD i got: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evo/
When I was installing windows 10 from a USB on an Asus MB (x299 Deluxe ll) I had to disable the wifi controller, the intel lan controller, the 5g lan card, and the HD audio. Once windows was up and running, I went back to the bios and enabled them. Everything worked perfectly. These may have an affect on your nvme drives. It might be worth checking those.

TRENDING THREADS