Question System not booting after enabling XMP on new RAM ?

Aug 9, 2023
Hey! I recently upgraded from 16GB 3200mz ram to 32GB 3600mz ram, same make/model.
My previous ram had xmp enabled which by default was 2667mz i believe, which is the same as my new ram is set to with xmp disabled. I decided to enable xmp to seek the benefits of higher speeds however i am greeted with "reboot and select proper boot drive" which seems very strange. (this happened when set to 3200mz and 3600mz but boots fine with xmp disabled) I must then reboot & reset bios settings as simply turning xmp back off does not fix the issue. When i reset bios settings, it alerts me that these changes have been made:
Boot Option #1: [Hard Disk:ST2000DM008-2FR102 ]->[UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (Samsung...]
Boot Option #7: [UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (Samsung...]->[Hard Disk:ST2000DM008-2FR102 ]
(obviously i did not change these myself)
So ultimately i am wondering, a) is my system not good enough? or b) am i simply just missing something
Specs:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 8GB​
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM008 3.5in Hard Drive​
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 250GB​
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X​
MSI X570 Gaming Edge WiFi Motherboard​
Corsair RM750 Gold 750W Power Supply​
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz DDR4​

Hey! I recently upgraded from 16GB 3200mz ram to 32GB 3600mz ram, same make/model.
My previous ram had xmp enabled which by default was 2667mz i believe, which is the same as my new ram is set to with xmp disabled. I decided to enable xmp to seek the benefits of higher speeds however i am greeted with "reboot and select proper boot drive" which seems very strange. (this happened when set to 3200mz and 3600mz but boots fine with xmp disabled) I must then reboot & reset bios settings as simply turning xmp back off does not fix the issue. When i reset bios settings, it alerts me that these changes have been made:
Boot Option #1: [Hard Disk:ST2000DM008-2FR102 ]->[UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (Samsung...]
Boot Option #7: [UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (Samsung...]->[Hard Disk:ST2000DM008-2FR102 ]
(obviously i did not change these myself)
So ultimately i am wondering, a) is my system not good enough? or b) am i simply just missing something
Specs:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 8GB​
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM008 3.5in Hard Drive​
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 250GB​
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X​
MSI X570 Gaming Edge WiFi Motherboard​
Corsair RM750 Gold 750W Power Supply​
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz DDR4​
BOOT options should have nothing to do with RAM. Make sure it's plugged in slots A2 and B2 and you have latest BIOS with AGESA 1202A for improved compatibility.
MB is quite capable of 3600MHz but memory controller (in the CPU) would be overclocked from guaranteed 3200MHz.
My R7 3700x run fine at 3600MHz RAM and was even able to BOOT at close to 4000MHz so that shouldn't be a problem.

Aug 9, 2023
According to AMD, the Ryzen 5 3600X doesn't support 3600MT/sec.
See:

So there should be no real expectation that it works at those speeds (even though many people have got it running at those speeds).

3200MT/s on the other hand should work. Do you have another machine to try the RAM in?
Yea i did think this, which is why i tried to run on 3200 as well. Unfortunately i do not have another machine though

Aug 9, 2023
BOOT options should have nothing to do with RAM. Make sure it's plugged in slots A2 and B2 and you have latest BIOS with AGESA 1202A for improved compatibility.
MB is quite capable of 3600MHz but memory controller (in the CPU) would be overclocked from guaranteed 3200MHz.
My R7 3700x run fine at 3600MHz RAM and was even able to BOOT at close to 4000MHz so that shouldn't be a problem.
I agree! It should have nothing to do with it, just strange that the boot options are getting changed & causing the pc not to be able to boot simply from trying to run on higher frequencies.
It is indeed plugged into A2 and B2, BIOS was updated sept last year, however there have been a couple new releases since then

I agree! It should have nothing to do with it, just strange that the boot options are getting changed & causing the pc not to be able to boot simply from trying to run on higher frequencies.
It is indeed plugged into A2 and B2, BIOS was updated sept last year, however there have been a couple new releases since then
I would suggest you update BIOS asap.last AGESA was released specifically for improving RAM

Aug 9, 2023
I would suggest you update BIOS asap.last AGESA was released specifically for improving RAM
Updated bios and set ram speed to 3200 and it booted fine. Very interesting. I will make sure everything is running well & try higher speeds. Would have never guessed updating bios would have fixed this issue with it only been updated late last year

Updated bios and set ram speed to 3200 and it booted fine. Very interesting. I will make sure everything is running well & try higher speeds. Would have never guessed updating bios would have fixed this issue with it only been updated late last year
Always read notes that come with new BIOS and drivers versions, they don't make them if not needed to fix something. Some times updating chipset drivers is also required

Aug 9, 2023
Always read notes that come with new BIOS and drivers versions, they don't make them if not needed to fix something. Some times updating chipset drivers is also required
Yep i always try to update other drivers including chipset every now and then, i usually disregard BIOS. Will be sure to keep an eye in the future, thanks for the help

Reactions: CountMike

TRENDING THREADS