Aug 24, 2015
Greetings and thanks for your time!

My system is the following:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k

Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Formula

RAM: Corsair vengeance 4*8GB DDR4 3200MHz

Storage: 3*1tb HDD, 256gb SSD

PSU: Thermaltake SmartM 650w

My previous graphics card was a GTX 1070 which was working perfectly with described setup. After installing a new Asus RTX 2070 Dual OC edition (model DUAL-RTX2070S-O8G-EVO) and trying to boot, system tries to start, comes to a sudden stop, and then starts again, only it doesn't boot, even though power is reaching all components. In the Motherboard code display, it shows code 53.

I have tried the following:

*Removing all but 1 memory stick and tried booting this way

*installing GPU in PCIe 8x slot

*Plugging the GPU in slot, but not connecting it to the PSU

*Flashing BIOS and installing latest version

*Connecting video output to MoBo and trying to boot while GPU installed

*Removing previous GPU dirvers from system

*Switching PSU cable, since it's modular

*Unplugging all hard drives but the one with SO and tried booting

* Trying different Mobo settings and configurations from the BIOS

None of the above worked. Others things i tried:

*Switching back to my GTX 1070, everything works perfeclty

*Switching to a borrowed RTX 2060 Super, everything works perfectly

I have no idea what's going on, so i'm writing to request help on this issue. Don't hesitate on requesting more info to diagnose the cause.

Thanks!

Solution
Anything around $60~$80 and available in Amazon or Ebay should be fine.

Ebay is 2nd hand market and deals with used components. Trust me, you do not want to buy used PSU. Since with used PSU, you will not get any warranty with it and you have no idea how much abuse it has seen and if it even produces within specs voltages, without damaging your components. I wouldn't even suggest top-of-the-line used PSU for the reasons explained.

Since shipping from amazon.com adds a lot to the shipping fee, the $60-$80 budget is eaten up with the shipping cost alone, leaving nothing for the PSU. Also, due to the COVID-19, there is wordlwide shortage of PSUs, MoBos and GPUs and either they are out of stock or priced quite high. It's hard to...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The issue is with your RTX 2070 since if the issue would be anywhere else, you'd get the same boot up issues with your old GTX 1070 and RTX 2060 as well.

At this point, i'd RMA the RTX 2070. But if you want to be sure, try getting the RTX 2070 running in another PC.

Btw, your PSU is also low build quality unit and i wouldn't run any dedicated GPU with that PSU. Unless you want to send your GPU (or entire PC in that matter), to very early retirement.
For a good/great build quality PSU, look towards Seasonic; Focus GX/PX or PRIME GX/ PX/ TX series PSUs in 650W range. (All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

nicoyamin

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Hi and thanks for your reply!

Well, yesterday i took my GPU to a friend and installed it in his PC, which usually runs an RTX 2080 Super (he has a thermaltake PSU as well, only 700w) and the GPU worked just fine, since the systme booted correctly and got signal on his display.

So at this point i'm at a loss, the culprit is either the Mobo or the PSU, and i'm aware my PSU is low quality, but in my country is really hard to get good components, specially when it comes to monitors and Power supplies. Also, it's already an old unit, almost 5 years old.

Maybe it's the PSU, but in your experience, do you think that's the kind of behaviour you could expect from a faulty PSU? I mean, i was expecting sudden shutdowns and resets, but not this. Hell, the store i bought the GPU from even sells a combo with an RTX 2070 Super and an even worse PSU than mine (https://compragamer.com/producto/_k...thermaltake_600w_tr2__7226?redir=1&nro_max=50 )

nicoyamin

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
In any case, i have filled an RMA the very same day i got the GPU and checked it wasn't working, which was almost two weeks ago, and they haven't replied. In Argentina is insanely hard to get decent post sale support. That's why i really want to pinpoint the cause, because if i send the GPU and they tell me it's working for them they will just send it back to me and i would have lost a lot of time, effort and money.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i was expecting sudden shutdowns and resets

That above is a good sign that your PSU isn't either powerful enough or unable to provide stable enough power to keep your PC running.

Did check your local shop and PSU selection is indeed very poor. Though, what is always an option is international shipping. E.g when purchasing from amazon.com, like this good quality Seasonic PSU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084TSPNR5/

Reactions: nicoyamin

nicoyamin

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Thanks for the reply!

That above is a good sign that your PSU isn't either powerful enough or unable to provide stable enough power to keep your PC running.

Actually that didn't happen. What i meant is, if the PSU were the faulty component, i would expect these kind of issues, but instead the whole system just fails to boot. With my Gtx 1070 everything works perfectly.

In any case, i got a response from the RMA, and i'm sending the GPU back. Luckily it's faulty and i'll just get another. If not, then i'll have to buy a new PSU.

Thing is, importing anything to Argentina is crazy expensive because of importing fees. For instance, if i were to import your recommended PSU, i would end up paying USD$280, which exceeds my budget by a fair amount.

So I'd really appreciate if you could suggest a budget PSU capable of powering my system with a decent degree of stability. Anything around $60~$80 and available in Amazon or Ebay should be fine.

Thanks you for your help!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Anything around $60~$80 and available in Amazon or Ebay should be fine.

Ebay is 2nd hand market and deals with used components. Trust me, you do not want to buy used PSU. Since with used PSU, you will not get any warranty with it and you have no idea how much abuse it has seen and if it even produces within specs voltages, without damaging your components. I wouldn't even suggest top-of-the-line used PSU for the reasons explained.

Since shipping from amazon.com adds a lot to the shipping fee, the $60-$80 budget is eaten up with the shipping cost alone, leaving nothing for the PSU. Also, due to the COVID-19, there is wordlwide shortage of PSUs, MoBos and GPUs and either they are out of stock or priced quite high. It's hard to find something at reasonable price.

However, the cheapest, good quality PSU, that i found is: Seasonic Focus GX-550,
newegg: https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189
While 550W may seem less, RTX 2070 is 175W GPU and if you add the rest of your system to it at about 200W, max what your system can consume is 375W, making 550W PSU enough.

Though, one thing i don't get. You clearly have enough money to buy $400 RTX 2070 but not enough for $100 PSU? Why is that?

You do realize, that you can cheap out on every other component inside the PC, except PSU. Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. Also, while the PSU warranty covers the PSU itself and you can RMA the blown PSU, the PSU warranty doesn't cover any other component the PSU fried.

Most people learn the hard way not to cheap out on a PSU when low quality PSU blows and takes part of the system or the whole system with it. Even entire houses have been burned down because of the fire low quality PSU caused when it blowed up.

Like it or not, if you want your PC to work for years to come without any risk of fire and/or damage to your components, you need to hand out some money for good quality PSU. I'm not talking that you need to go with the best PSU money can buy, e.g Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium), which costs $250+ (and which also powers my Skylake build). Seasonic Focus GX-550 i linked above costs $107 and is more than enough for your PC, both wattage and build quality wise.

However, if you go with "budget" PSU, please, do record a video when your cheap PSU blows up since i like to see some good fireworks. Just like seen in here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

If you still think "budget" PSU is best for your PC, i'll be waiting a video from you with good fireworks.
If not, Focus GX-550 with 10 years of warranty, i linked above, is solid choice for any PC. (For example, my AMD build is powered by Focus PX-550.)

Reactions: nicoyamin
Solution

nicoyamin

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Hey Aeacus, thanks for the detailed reply!

Though, one thing i don't get. You clearly have enough money to buy $400 RTX 2070 but not enough for $100 PSU? Why is that?
Well, the main reason I don't have a lot to spare in a good PSU, is because I didn't factor that in when I decided to replace my GPU, just thought it would run fine with my current one. That was clearly not the case and now I don't have lot of money left to invest in a quality PSU.

However, I think you were pretty convincing in pointing out the cons of cheaping out in a PSU. So, i've decided to wait and save a little longer so i can buy a decent Seasonic (or maybe Corsair) PSU. That way, I can save myself from the hassle of having to send you a video of my house burning down because my cheap PSU exploded.

Again thanks for your help, and I'll be letting you know how things are going with my build!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Note about Corsair:
  • Corsair VS series PSUs are low quality units and the worst offered by Corsair. Avoid those.
  • Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series but build quality wise, they still are worse than anything offered by Seasonic. Best used in an office PC without any GPU in it.
  • While Corsair AX, AXi, HX, HXi, RMx, RMi, TXm and SF series are on-par with Seasonic PSUs.
Note about Seasonic:
  • Seasonic PRIME series is the flagship of Seasonic and these are one of the best (if not the best) PSUs in the world. Also, PRIME series is the only PSU series in the entire world that come with hefty 12 years of warranty. No other PSU brand/OEM gives more than 10 years of warranty for their PSUs.
  • Seasonic Focus series is solid mid-tier option for most consumers and do just fine. Warranty wise, you're looking 10 years. (7 years for semi-modular version, like Focus GM series.)
  • Seasonic Core series is budget oriented. Though, there aren't any proper reviews of the Core series as of yet and due to that, i can not suggest looking towards Seasonic Core series PSUs. Though, 7 years warranty for these.
Avoid the new Seasonic S12III series since it isn't made by Seasonic itself. Instead, it's outsourced.
Older models, like S12II, M12II EVO, S12G, G-series, X-series are reliable but they are aged (released back as far as in 2009) and it's difficult to suggest these at current date. (E.g my Haswell build is still powered by M12II-850 EVO PSU but i have new PSU for it ready, PRIME TX-650, just matter of swapping it out.)