[SOLVED] System not booting after vacation

Dec 3, 2020
Hey guys
Went for vacation for 1 week during which my PC was off and unplugged from power
Came home yesterday just to find it not working. Fan was spinning and LEDs on but it showed no video and no keyboard lights and it started to beep (IIRC 3 long beeps, not sure, but accordingly to ASUS website something with the RAM was wrong). So I first tried to disconnect everything and reconnect again, showed no video as before but this time no beeps. Opened the case, pulled the RAM out and cleaned it with an eraser and some cotton, pulled RAM in, closed the case and reconnected everything again. This time the fans were spinning, not showing keyboard lights but it started to smell burn. Disconnected fast and now I don't know what to do (sorry if my grammar is somewhat wrong, just learning English)

Solution
if it's a generic PSU, I would say that caused the issue.
Hopefully only the PSU went out and it didn't take out anything else with it.

First thing is first, get a new PSU and make sure it's not some cheap crap either.
Get something that is quality built
(please note that the 80+ rating does not pertain to quality only the efficiency at converting DC power and how well it does that without wasting energy)

Also, time to take apart the entire PC.
Inspect every part individually looking for anything burnt.
Smell each component to see if you can smell a strong burnt scent on it to see if that component itself got fried.

Time to figure out what got killed, and start planning for buying new parts.

This is why you see people always saying...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Can you provide us with details about all the components in your PC.

Tell us both make and model of these components:
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Power Supply
Graphics Card
Storage

DO NOT tell use basic info.
Example:
Intel i7
Asus Z170 motherboard
16GB of RAM
600w Power Supply
GTX 1060
1TB hard drive

Instead, tell us detailed info.
Example:
Intel i7-6700K
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
Corsair RMx 600w
Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1060 6GB
1TB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda

Having exact make and model of your hardware can helps us look into different things regarding that specific piece of hardware you have.

If this is a pre built machine from Dell, HP, or someone else, please provide us with the exact model number and manufacturer of your pre built machine.

Dec 3, 2020
[

Tell us both make and model of these components:
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Power Supply
Graphics Card
Storage

DO NOT tell use basic info.
Example:
Intel i7
Asus Z170 motherboard
16GB of RAM
600w Power Supply
GTX 1060
1TB hard drive

Instead, tell us detailed info.
Example:
Intel i7-6700K
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
Corsair RMx 600w
Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1060 6GB
1TB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda

Having exact make and model of your hardware can helps us look into different things regarding that specific piece of hardware you have.

If this is a pre built machine from Dell, HP, or someone else, please provide us with the exact model number and manufacturer of your pre built machine.
[/QUOTE]

Sure.
AMD A6 7400k
ASUS motherboard (I don't remember the exact name but it's one of those https://www.asus.com/microsite/2013/mb/kaveri/
4GB generic RAM
300w generic PSU
Integrated graphics
500GB HD

It's a prebuilt PC, the only thing I added was a new CPU fan

It already has had some similar problems with it's RAM 6 months before, I just cleaned the RAM off

I do have a question though, did you turn off the PC and unplug it before you opened it up and took out the RAM?
or did you do it while it was turned on or plugged in?

It was off, but the first time I tried I didn't lock the RAM properly, hence the burning smell (I think)

(Please can you tell me how to upload pics on the forum?)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if it's a generic PSU, I would say that caused the issue.
Hopefully only the PSU went out and it didn't take out anything else with it.

First thing is first, get a new PSU and make sure it's not some cheap crap either.
Get something that is quality built
(please note that the 80+ rating does not pertain to quality only the efficiency at converting DC power and how well it does that without wasting energy)

Also, time to take apart the entire PC.
Inspect every part individually looking for anything burnt.
Smell each component to see if you can smell a strong burnt scent on it to see if that component itself got fried.

Time to figure out what got killed, and start planning for buying new parts.

This is why you see people always saying not to use cheap crap power supplies for anything.

I doubt you have a warranty for anything in the system since it's an FM2 platform.

Might just have to look at what you can salvage and reuse (at this point just storage and possibly the case depending on what kind of case it is) and just look into building a new PC.

But, if you can salvage the CPU at the very least, you could look for an old use dmotherboard that will work with the CPU and get some replacement RAM and a new PSU assuming that the RAM, MOBO, and PSU are the only affected components.

But start doing what I said to smell things and determine if something fried that way before looking into buying practically a whole new PC.

But to be honest with you, while I understand that a lot of people just don't have money right now, that platform is super old and you have been due for an upgrade for some time now.

I assume this PC is used mostly just for daily use and not really gaming or anything, at which point, when it comes to replacing the PC, you could get some old used Dell Optiplex system with an i5 for pretty cheap these days.

Solution