[SOLVED] System not booting, All fans spin except for PSU the second i switch the power supply on.

Mar 18, 2019
Hello, this is my first time posting here so sorry if this isn't a very good post and thanks in advance for any help.

So last night my girlfriends pc crashed, no blue screen, turned right back on no problem. after that i had her pull up hw monitor for me to check temps because i thought overheating would be the most likely cause for an instant shutdown with no error code. Temps all checked out though and right after she sent me a SS of the temps it crashed again no blue screen or error code. I then had her unplug the psu and hold down the power button to get all the energy out of the system and told her we would check back on it tomorrow as it was getting late. Fast forward to today she turns on her pc and within 5 minutes it crashes the same as last night. I then have her repeat the steps from last night to get the energy out and we swap around the ram sticks to make sure they aren't causing any problems . As were doing that the pc starts to power on by itself when we plug the psu back in and the psu fan seems to be trying to spin but it isn't actually spinning. Every other fan spins and there is no signal sent to the monitor nor do any of her peripherals light up.

I'm obviously thinking the PSU is bad and hoping that nothing else is damaged. just thought i would post here to get some more opinions on the matter.

CPU - Athlon x4 860k
GPU - AMD RX 460
MOBO - Asrock FM2A68M-HD+
RAM - 16gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
PSU - 450w EVGA

Solution
Hi and welcome to TomsHardware,

Most modern PSUs will only turn their fan on when they get above a certain temperature or power load. Just because the fan isn't spinning on startup does not mean something is wrong with the PSU. It also does not rule out an issue with the PSU. As mentioned a volt-ohm meter would help diagnose if the PSU. Or if you have a PSU you could test her system with, that would also help.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9NL0kvNzAwNjUwL29yaWdpbmFsL1Jlc3VsdC0yNC0zM19GYW5fUlBNX05vaXNlX0dyYXBoLnBuZw==
Hi and welcome to TomsHardware,

Most modern PSUs will only turn their fan on when they get above a certain temperature or power load. Just because the fan isn't spinning on startup does not mean something is wrong with the PSU. It also does not rule out an issue with the PSU. As mentioned a volt-ohm meter would help diagnose if the PSU. Or if you have a PSU you could test her system with, that would also help.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9NL0kvNzAwNjUwL29yaWdpbmFsL1Jlc3VsdC0yNC0zM19GYW5fUlBNX05vaXNlX0dyYXBoLnBuZw==

Solution