Build Advice System not booting, smoke coming from GPU/PCIE slot after turning it on

KarmaChang

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
System not booting, smoke coming from GPU/PCIE slot after turning it on.

Hi everyone. As mentioned above, this has just started happening when I turn on my PC before it turns itself off. It was fine a couple of hours ago when I was using it and I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary that wouldn't normally be doing (productivity, web browsing).

I tried swapping out the power supplies, same result. I tried unseating the GPU and slotting it back in, same result.

I'm honestly not sure what to do. It's a custom loop so the only thing I can think of is ripping apart the entire system and replacing either the motherboard or GPU.

Components are:
Ryzen 5950X
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero with EK Monoblock
4080 FE in EK waterblock
64 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600MHz, CL16
Corsair HX1000i

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm stressing out here.

KarmaChang

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Appreciate the advice guys. I stepped back for a moment and was able to work through the issue. Turns out something on the GPU's PCB shorted out. I'm not 100% sure what happened. Thankfully I still had my 3090 albeit back on it's air cooler. So I spent an evening taking the loop apart and putting the 3090 back in it's waterblock and re-installing it. Thank God I hadn't sold it yet.

Thankfully Nvidia RMA'd the 4080 which I've now got back and using again.