Question System not booting with secondary internal hard drive connected ?

bala_4370

Honorable
Apr 7, 2018
Hi,

I have a 256 GB SSD in which OS is installed. And I have another 1TB Internal hard disk from segate (2 years old).

System was working fine but suddenly it stopped booting. It gets stuck in the boot screen. But when I disconnected the HHD and tried booting, it boots normally. I even tried changing power cord from SMPS and SATA cable but no use.

System doesnt boot when HHD is connected.

Please help.

Regards,
Santhosh Balaji

Hi,

I have a 256 GB SSD in which OS is installed. And I have another 1TB Internal hard disk from segate (2 years old).

System was working fine but suddenly it stopped booting. It gets stuck in the boot screen. But when I disconnected the HHD and tried booting, it boots normally. I even tried changing power cord from SMPS and SATA cable but no use.

System doesnt boot when HHD is connected.

Please help.

Regards,
Santhosh Balaji
You could try this as a diagnostic test: download a linux distro (e.g. linuxmint) and mount it on a usb stick (rufus.ie). You could then try booting from that usb stick and see what response you get from your system. You may have to try disconnecting your ssd to see if you can boot with just the usb and hdd. If you can boot with the hdd connected at least you'll know that the hdd is not totally dead. If you still can't boot then you may have to have your hdd analyzed by a professional data recovery company or perhaps submit it for warranty replacement.

USAFRet

Titan
It was working with both drives.
Then not working with both drives.
But will boot up with only the SSD.

Is this correct?

This sounds like a faulty HDD.
That can possibly prevent booting up.

bala_4370

Honorable
Apr 7, 2018
You could try this as a diagnostic test: download a linux distro (e.g. linuxmint) and mount it on a usb stick (rufus.ie). You could then try booting from that usb stick and see what response you get from your system. You may have to try disconnecting your ssd to see if you can boot with just the usb and hdd. If you can boot with the hdd connected at least you'll know that the hdd is not totally dead. If you still can't boot then you may have to have your hdd analyzed by a professional data recovery company or perhaps submit it for warranty replacement.
Warranty expired. Let me try with the other option that you mentioned.

Reactions: dwd999
Yes Sir, that's right. I am surprised as how. HHD can go faulty in just 2 years. Warranty expired in Jan.

A few years ago I had three brand new Seagate HDDs fail on me in less than 4 months ---- sometimes it's just bad luck.

By contrast, I've had three WD HDDs for 10 years and I'm still using them. There's no telling how long a drive will keep working, especially a mechanical one.

bala_4370

Honorable
Apr 7, 2018
I under
A few years ago I had three brand new Seagate HDDs fail on me in less than 4 months ---- sometimes it's just bad luck.

By contrast, I've had three WD HDDs for 10 years and I'm still using them. There's no telling how long a drive will keep working, especially a mechanical one.

I understand, is there a way I can retrieve data from this failed HHD. I have a lot of pictures of my daughter.

USAFRet

Titan
There are lot of memorable pictures in that HHD.
Then what you do is take a forensic level clone off to some other storage device, and attempt any data recovery on that drive.

But unless you know exactly what do to with all of that, this is when you send it off to a data recovery company. This will cost actual money.

And this is where a $50 external drive and free software could have prevented ANY loss of data.

Your data should never be at the mercy of a single drive.
Ever.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

bala_4370

Honorable
Apr 7, 2018
Then what you do is take a forensic level clone off to some other storage device, and attempt any data recovery on that drive.

But unless you know exactly what do to with all of that, this is when you send it off to a data recovery company. This will cost actual money.

And this is where a $50 external drive and free software could have prevented ANY loss of data.

Your data should never be at the mercy of a single drive.
Ever.
Is there a chance to bring back the HHD to life if given for service in segate authorised service centre.

bala_4370

Honorable
Apr 7, 2018
I doubt they would seriously try to revive a drive.

They'd do a quick evaluation. If deemed "dead", they may or may not choose to replace with a new or "refurbished" equivalent under warranty, if any.

You may spend some time in customer service hell. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Mine went out of warranty last month. This is happening to me the third time. My HHD, my MOBO and my television recently went bad just in one month after warranty period.