Question System not booting

Link2212

Reputable
Nov 16, 2016
So I wasn't sure if this is the right area to post this but thought this seemed the most relevant.

So my pc is built by me. Been using it for maybe 2 years and no problems. Decided I need to upgrade my gpu so I bought a new card and put it in. Since doing that when I turn the pc on it shuts down after maybe 5 seconds and then restarts. When it restarts though I get no visuals at all on my monitors. I also get no beeps.

I tried puting my old gpu back in and it continued to do this. I then tried booting the pc with no gpu and using the motherboard only and will it does this. So this eliminates it being a gpu issue. I tried booting with no ram etc. No change. I then switched to an older psu without the gpu connected to see if it would start. It still does it. So it doesn't look to be a psu issue or a gpu issue.
Am I looking at a broken motherboard now? Could the cpu be at fault here? A and out is the motherboard, what could have caused it to randomly go when I switched to a new gpu? I've made sure everything is compatible with each other.

Update: I've now taken the cpu out, cleaned it and put it back. Nothing changed. I'm fairly certain it has to be something with the motherboard now.

Pc specs off the top of my head

Cpu- Intel i7 4770
Ram - 2x 8gb corsair vengeance ddr4
Gpu - msi nvidia gtx 1070
Psu - corsair professional series HX750w
Mobo - msi H97 PC mate

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Breadboard the system, with only one stick of ram. Also prior to using one stick and even powering up, try and remove the CMOS battery and leave it like so for 15 minutes before replacing the battery.

What was your GPU prior to the upgrade? If the pseudo new GPU is a GTX1070, what was it prior? How old is your PSU? Also what is the make and model of the older PSU you'd used to troubleshoot and rule out that it isn't a PSU issue?

Link2212

Reputable
Nov 16, 2016
Breadboard the system, with only one stick of ram. Also prior to using one stick and even powering up, try and remove the CMOS battery and leave it like so for 15 minutes before replacing the battery.

What was your GPU prior to the upgrade? If the pseudo new GPU is a GTX1070, what was it prior? How old is your PSU? Also what is the make and model of the older PSU you'd used to troubleshoot and rule out that it isn't a PSU issue?
I'll try taking the cmos battery out next.

I went from a gtx 950 to the 1070.
The PSU should only be a few years old at most. 2 maybe 3. The other PSU I tried was an older one. It's a CPUZ model 500w. It's not great but it still powers my other pc without issues. Without a GPU in this system it should still be able to power the base things without problem. I'm not an absolute expert on this so I won't say for certain that it's not the PSU but it doesn't seem it so far.
In regards to it being a potential power issue, I'd understand it failing with the new card but that shouldn't stop it working with the old card again, right?

Link2212

Reputable
Nov 16, 2016
I have another update. I took out the CMOS battery like you said. Now when I turn it on it doesn't do that single restart, so that's good. I still get no signal on any monitor though regardless of when I plug it in via GPU or motherboard.