[SOLVED] System not displaying with any beefy GPU

chaydon117

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
Hello. I am in real dire need of help and beginning to lose it. I've been troubleshooting since christmas day, the day my R9 280X kicked the bucket. I'm trying to use an interim card inthe form of the HD 7970 from a friend. However, whenever the system turns on, I the VGA LED on my motherboard remains on. Specs are as follows.

Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte GA-X370-Gaming-3 (BIOS version at time of issues started: F50. Attempted to use F51d to no effect and since flashed back to F1 in the same vain. No effect either)
16gb DDR4 (4x4gb)
HD7970 1GB
EVGA 650w power supply

The system does boot but there is no display from the 7970 at all. It works perfectly with a HD 6450 and a 6850 (latter needing power) but the system rejects the 7970. I even tried with a 1000w borrowed from a friend to test to no avail. Same thing again.

I know the 7970 works, I used it as an interim before I even bough tthe 280x so I know it works with the system, but it des not after the 280x died (cause, possibly short ciurcuit of chips as there's burn marks on the back of the PCB)

Any help is very much appreciated. I am so close to losing my marbles over this.

Solution
Hello. I am in real dire need of help and beginning to lose it. I've been troubleshooting since christmas day, the day my R9 280X kicked the bucket. I'm trying to use an interim card inthe form of the HD 7970 from a friend. However, whenever the system turns on, I the VGA LED on my motherboard remains on. Specs are as follows.

Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte GA-X370-Gaming-3 (BIOS version at time of issues started: F50. Attempted to use F51d to no effect and since flashed back to F1 in the same vain. No effect either)
16gb DDR4 (4x4gb)
HD7970 1GB
EVGA 650w power supply

The system does boot but there is no display from the 7970 at all. It works perfectly with a HD 6450 and a 6850 (latter needing power) but the system rejects the 7970. I even...

Ryzen 5 1600
16gb DDR4 (4x4gb)
HD7970 1GB
EVGA 650w power supply

The system does boot but there is no display from the 7970 at all. It works perfectly with a HD 6450 and a 6850 (latter needing power) but the system rejects the 7970. I even tried with a 1000w borrowed from a friend to test to no avail. Same thing again.

I know the 7970 works, I used it as an interim before I even bough tthe 280x so I know it works with the system, but it des not after the 280x died (cause, possibly short ciurcuit of chips as there's burn marks on the back of the PCB)

Any help is very much appreciated. I am so close to losing my marbles over this.
A guess is the tragedy that hit the 280x damaged circuit/traces/contacts on the motherboard that keeps a 'beefy' GPU from working. Another place to look is in the GPU supplemental power connectors or wiring from the PSU, except that seems unlikely if you used another PSU completely including it's wires and connectors.

Solution

chaydon117

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
Thanks for the swift reply. I currently cannot see any physical damage on the board per say and I have even tried the 7970 in the next PCIE slot down. Same thing happens there.

Okay so I just popped it in the second because why not and had to disconnect a SATA cable to it. One that was in the way was out and the system works? Most fascinating.

chaydon117

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
A guess is the tragedy that hit the 280x damaged circuit/traces/contacts on the motherboard that keeps a 'beefy' GPU from working. Another place to look is in the GPU supplemental power connectors or wiring from the PSU, except that seems unlikely if you used another PSU completely including it's wires and connectors.

Forgot to hit reply and thanks for the swift one. If you see the comment above, it does work. Just something seems to involve my SSD