[SOLVED] System not giving expected results

Sep 8, 2021
Hello everyone,

A few months ago I got a new prebuilt PC which is quite beefy compared to my old PC, it has a Gigabyte 3060 GPU, Ryzen 5 5600X CPU, 1x16 GB 3200 mhz RAM, MSI B450M motherboard, 500 gb SSD and 2TB HDD.

However I am not very satisfied with the performance I am getting from my PC because it honestly feels like I am still using my old 1050 Ti and i5. My FPS in games would be quite the same only usually being up by 10 - 20 FPS on lighter games and 5 FPS on heavier games like Red Dead Redemption 2 where I get about 40 to 50 FPS on low-med settings with my current setup. I am not thermal throttling beause my CPU is hitting high boosts and task manager says my GPU is running at about 65 celsius when playing rdr2 which seems quite reasonable, I think it is because of my ram only being 1x16 GB because ryzen does not like single channel ram but I am questioning if that would make such a huge difference in FPS, or it could just be that this is the expected performance and I was just expecting too much from my system, I would like to get some different thoughts as to what could be the problem or if there even is a problem at all and that this is the expected performance.

Solution
i could get another 16gb stick.
Nonononononono... that's a whole other rabbit hole, called the mixed ram lottery.
If you win, great!
If you don't... BSODs, freezing, and a corrupt OS are some of the symptoms.

And i wont really mess with any overclocking stuff,
By overclocking the ram, I meant...
You know how you go into bios and enable XMP/DOCP so the ram is running at the advertised profile?
Some users will take it further than that. Take a 3600 CL16 kit, for example. They'll go into bios, raise the frequency further(4000mhz), or lower the primary/secondary timings, all for more performance.
Thing is, it's a royal pain in the butt to do that and achieve stability.
Sep 8, 2021
That's a no-go chief. It's darn sad that PCs are still sold with configurations like this.
It's not just Ryzen, single channel is just no good for trying to play games with today.

500 gb SSD and 2TB HDD
Then there's also whatever the heck these 2 are, because slow and fast drives exist; you don't want 100% disk usage either.

The 2tb HDD is a seagate one I bought myself and had from my old pc so that one is fine, the ssd is a bit dodgy but its not too bad, not getting 100% usage and loading times on games, windows startup or other programs are quite solid. And yeah I was really hoping they wouldnt screw me over with a 1x16 gb configuration but they did. I am planning on changing it to a better 3200 8x2 kit since the ram itself is also not that great. I just didnt know that having 1x16 would have such an impact on performance and I thought something else might of have been wrong with the pc, thanks for clearing things up a little!

Sep 8, 2021
If you're not seeing 100% disk usage then, that's fine.

Single channel would've been ok... on games from like 10-15 years ago, LOL...

Haha alright man appreciate the help! If i could ask you a question though, what would be a pretty good 3200 2x8 gb kit to buy? I dont want any rgb on there to light up my ketchup and mustard cables or anything fancy, was thinking about getting the corsair vengeance kit but maybe you know something better?

Sep 8, 2021
3200 CL14 or 15, but those tend to be pricey, ~so... 3600 CL16.

I don't believe the brand and model matters too much, except if you're going to overclock the ram further than the XMP/DOCP profile.

Hmm, if the brand doesnt matter much i could get another 16gb stick. I believe the ram manufacturer was transcend. And i wont really mess with any overclocking stuff, too worried i will break something for just a bit more performance

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i could get another 16gb stick.
Nonononononono... that's a whole other rabbit hole, called the mixed ram lottery.
If you win, great!

And i wont really mess with any overclocking stuff,
You know how you go into bios and enable XMP/DOCP so the ram is running at the advertised profile?
Some users will take it further than that. Take a 3600 CL16 kit, for example. They'll go into bios, raise the frequency further(4000mhz), or lower the primary/secondary timings, all for more performance.

Solution
Sep 8, 2021
If you win, great!

Oh, yeah would defenitely not want any of that bsod stuff to happen. Guess i will just buy a 2x8 kit, don't really need more than 16 anyway. I have vaguely heard about xmp profiles but still dont want to mess with it if it's in the bios, you have been an absolute great help with answering my questions though, appreciate it a lot!

Reactions: Phaaze88