[SOLVED] System not posting with 4 sticks of RAM installed

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020
I tried installing an additional 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz memory into my system and my system wont POST, the EzDebug LED light shows red for CPU. It works fine when I have just 2 sticks installed, I have tested all 4 sticks and they work, just not with all 4 plugged in at the same time. The motherboard has 8+4 pin ATX header and my PSU only has an 8 pin ATX connector but the GamersNexus review of the board says its redundant anyway, is there any way I can test if its a problem with the motherboard before I go and buy a new PSU?

My specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz
GPU: MSI GTX 970
PSU: CoolerMaster B600 Ver.2

Solution
reset CMOS and see if it boots

The plus 4 ATX-V header only feeds the CPU VRM and is only needed for extreme overclocking as on LN2 when current draw can be massively excessive. A new PSU won't help, especially for a 6 core Zen2. You could safely run that processor on only one, single 4 pin ATX-V connector.

The plus 4 ATX-V header only feeds the CPU VRM and is only needed for extreme overclocking as on LN2 when current draw can be massively excessive. A new PSU won't help, especially for a 6 core Zen2. You could safely run that processor on only one, single 4 pin ATX-V connector.

Last edited:
Solution

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020

Clearing CMOS worked, thank you for the extra info as well.