Question System not reading GPU temps. Fans going to 100% speed suddenly. System shuts down.

May 15, 2020
Hi! So, I've an R9 380x in my PC, and for the past month and a half or so, I've been experiencing this issue. Whenever I run a game, after about 20 mins or so, the system stops reading GPU temperatures and the GPU fans would just go to 100% speed.

I installed AMD Wattman and it wouldn't work properly in order to control the fan speed, so I decided to install MSI Afterburner instead and it worked. For some time, I was able to set a default curve and if, for some reason, Afterburner showed the GPU temp at 0ºC, after starting a game, I would just set the fan speed at 60% (which was the estimated speed for the temperature the GPU usually reaches).

That method worked, for some weeks. But for the last couple of days, the GPU fans go up to 100% after 30 mins of gameplay, or just randomly, and right after that happens, the PC just shuts down. Restarting it, most times, causes Windows to update itself or report some unexpected issues.

Am I right assuming that probably my GPU is just slowly dying and that I need a replacement asap? Or could something else be the cause of such malfunction?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: GPU's manufacturer is Sapphire. CPU is i5-6600k and MOBO is a GA Z170 HD3P.

TRENDING THREADS