Question System not recognizing my RTX 4090 for what it is after disabling mobo graphics ?

Sep 23, 2023
Howdy. I've got a weird/niche problem that I've had absolutely no luck finding any results on, so I'm hoping some folk here can help me figure out what's going on with my rig.
MSI PRO X670-P WiFi mobo
R7 7800X3D
MSI GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDRR6X
Corsair RGB DDR5 64GB (2x32GB)
Silicon Power 2TB XS70 M.2 NVMe- System
Silicon Power 4TB XS70 M.2 NVMe - Gaming

Windows 11 Pro - v10.0.22621 Build 22621

This system is relatively new, I built it about 4 months ago.

I play VR regularly. I use the Vive Pro 2 with HTC Wireless adapter (uses an intel WiGig PCIe 3.0 card). It's been working perfectly, and then suddenly the Wireless adapter starting giving me an error that made it unusable.

Worked with HTC support for several weeks to fix the issue, and it seems that disabling the motherboard's graphics chipset stops the issue from happening.

The problem is that when the onboard graphics are disabled, my system doesn't seem to realize that I've got an RTX-capable video card anymore, as games (both VR and otherwise) have disabled RTX features such as DLSS and Ray Tracing (saying I need an RTX card for those features), and some games in VR look utterly horrible now, whereas before they were running perfectly at ultra settings etc etc blah blah blah. Changing video and resolution settings has absolutely no effect.

When I re-enable the motherboard graphics, the system suddenly sees my 4090 as a 4090 and all the disabled features are useable again. But VR isn't, of course.

Here's a couple screenshots of what HL Alyx looks like now:
1b2cnwi.png

gbqlxvj.png

At this point I'm about this 🤏close to just throwing my hands up and doing a complete reinstall of Windows in the hopes it'll solve whatever the hell is going wrong, as I have absolutely no idea what's causing *either* issue.

So TL-DR

1 - Wireless VR Stops working unless mobo graphics disabled
2 - When mobo graphics disabled, system (or just games?) doesn't recognize my 4090 for what it is. Re-enable and the problem goes away, but Wireless VR doesn't work.
3 - Even when Wireless VR *does* work, it now looks like garbage and is unplayable.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I'd be really appreciative.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How are you turning off igpu and where is the video cable connected? Thinking to myself, since it's possible to route gpu through igpu ports on the motherboard, if igpu was disabled through windows it could still be possible for gpu routing unless discrete graphics was prioritised in bios.

Motherboard user manual links to bios features and settings.

Try play around with vga detection (page 12) and graphics priority to PEG (page 14).

Could be just a driver or bios conflict. Perhaps try update motherboard chipset driver from Amd and see if there are pending bios updates from Msi. Disable xmp if you do try update bios, just a cautionary rule of thumb preventing unnecessary dramas.

Where does it say the 4090 isn't being detected and what power supply do you have?

Sep 23, 2023
How are you turning off igpu and where is the video cable connected? Thinking to myself, since it's possible to route gpu through igpu ports on the motherboard, if igpu was disabled through windows it could still be possible for gpu routing unless discrete graphics was prioritised in bios.

Motherboard user manual links to bios features and settings.

Try play around with vga detection (page 12) and graphics priority to PEG (page 14).

Could be just a driver or bios conflict. Perhaps try update motherboard chipset driver from Amd and see if there are pending bios updates from Msi. Disable xmp if you do try update bios, just a cautionary rule of thumb preventing unnecessary dramas.

Where does it say the 4090 isn't being detected and what power supply do you have?

Thanks for the response. The IGPU is disabled in the device manager.

The way in which the wireless adapter works actually doesn't require any video cable to be plugged in to the GPU directly, the receiver connects to the WiGig PCIe card via a slim coax cable, and that's it. The video cable that's usually plugged in to the GPU directly from the HMD is replaced by a much shorter cable that runs from the HMD to the wireless adapter that's mounted on top of it (here's a link).

I'll take a look in the BIOS and see what's happening there, thanks for the link to the manual.

There's no direct messaging that the 4090 isn't detected, it's just games that have RTX features like Raytracing and DLSS don't allow those options to be enabled, with messaging that says "This feature requires an Nvidia RTX-type card to work", or something similar.

I'm using a Corsair HX 1200 PSU.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Psu is quality.

Yeah I'd probably try remove Vive for the moment, if bios settings don't shine a light, incase that has anything to do with it. Maybe firmware update? Some setting maybe. If you remove Vive and same thing happens then can rule this equipment out.

Reactions: fozzibab
Sep 23, 2023
Thanks for the responses, I'll attempt to disable iGPU in the BIOS and report back if that has any effect.

Sep 23, 2023
Disabling the iGPU in my BIOS seems to have cleared up the issue. HL Alyx looks normal again, and games that weren't able to see the 4090 seem to recognize it for what it is.

The only weird thing that's still occurring is that changing per-eye resolution in SteamVR doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect anymore. Whether it's 50% or 500%, the game looks and performs exactly the same. I may do a Windows reinstall in the future when I'm back from a trip. Either way, games are playable in VR again and support RTX features on flatscreen games, so I'm happy. Thanks very much for your suggestions 🙏