Question System not responding to new PSU???

Nov 7, 2019
I'm upgrading an old Dell Optiplex 790.
It works fine until I switched out the PSU.

Now all I'm getting is a blinking orange light where the power button is, on the front.
No spinning fans, no boot, no sound, nothing.
I automatically assumed it was an PSU issue, but then I remembered the little paper clip trick and figured why not give it a shot... So I did, and it worked. PSU LEDs turned on, fan spun... Smooth.

It's still a PSU issue though, right?????

Nov 7, 2019
If the system works fine with the old PSU then, the motherboard is fine and the new PSU is faulty.
What PSU brand did you get?
Some no name brand on eBay. I went cheap, and I believe I got what I paid for it seems. Although they did have a tremendous amount of positive reviews.

What was perplexing was how I could get the lights and the fans to work with a paperclip outside of the system but once I put it in, I got nothing.

I know that test isn't close to perfect but I don't have a multimeter, unfortunately.

Some no name brand on eBay. I went cheap, and I believe I got what I paid for it seems. Although they did have a tremendous amount of positive reviews.

What was perplexing was how I could get the lights and the fans to work with a paperclip outside of the system but once I put it in, I got nothing.

I know that test isn't close to perfect but I don't have a multimeter, unfortunately.
A PSU powering on does not automatically means that can deliver the different voltages a system needs to function.
I have installed EVGA, Antec and Corsair on that Dell model without issues.
A cheap PSU could damage components and could even cause fires.
Reviews are easily manufacturer on eBay.
I suggest you get at least a $40 500W EVGA BT PSU.

Reactions: Ceazer1990x
Nov 7, 2019
A PSU powering on does not automatically means that can deliver the different voltages a system needs to function.
I have installed EVGA, Antec and Corsair on that Dell model without issues.
A cheap PSU could damage components and could even cause fires.
Reviews are easily manufacturer on eBay.
I suggest you get at least a $40 500W EVGA BT PSU.
Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely be returning this and probably going with your recommendation. Thanks again.