[SOLVED] System Only Boots When Left Unplugged For Days

Ethan Murphy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Hello! I'm having an issue with a backup system I have (just old parts thrown together) that appears to be the fault of the power supply. If I get the system running it will run for days on end without an issue, but if it powers down all the way it begins to have issues. The system will essentially half power on. Lights, fans, HDD's, etc. all power up, but the CPU fan doesn't spin up to its proper speed and the system is not responsive at all. This happens to whatever system this PSU (Corsair CX500M) is in.

If I leave the PSU unplugged for a while (I did 2 days) it will once again boot without issue. My personal guess is that the capacitors need to fully discharge for some reason, otherwise the motherboard will not receive the Power Good signal, for whatever reason. Not sure if there is a way to fix this, but is there a way to drain the capacitors quicker? I would rather not open the PSU up, as I would likely kill myself, but maybe through grounding one of the wires on the 24pin connector? If I use the 24pin cable from another PSU and run this alongside it, not problems at all. It appears to be something with this specific power rail. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Solution
It could be the PSU, but it might also be the mobo cmos battery too.

I'd try to change that first since its like $2 for a cmos battery.

I am saying this; I don't fully expect the cmos battery to be the problem, but I've experienced something slightly similar and replacing that battery did the trick for me.

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
It could be the PSU, but it might also be the mobo cmos battery too.

I'd try to change that first since its like $2 for a cmos battery.

I am saying this; I don't fully expect the cmos battery to be the problem, but I've experienced something slightly similar and replacing that battery did the trick for me.

Solution

Ethan Murphy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

This motherboard actually has a new battery on it anyways. The problem follows this power supply to whatever system it is in, so I don't believe its related to the motherboard.