Question System Only Recognizing 8 GB of Ram

Pau_RM

Prominent
Aug 24, 2020
My PC worked perfectly until I traveled with it about a year ago and took the ram and GPU out. After putting it back together it only recognized 8 GB of RAM out of the 16. I couldn't be bothered to fix it, but now it's been quite annoying while playing video games. In task manager, it says I have 16 GB installed, but 8.0 GB are hardware reserved. It's already uncapped in MSCONFIG, and I've tried each stick individually and they work fine, both times recognizing 8 GB. I also cleared CMOS and it didn't change. Still, when installed together BIOS only recognizes 8 GB. The timings and voltage are correct, and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Any suggestions?

Specs:
Ram- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB ddr4, 3200 MHz
Motherboard- MSI Tomohawk b450
CPU- Ryzen 7 2700x
Graphics- EVGA Geforce RTX 2070
EVGA 750 W Power Supply
1 TB Samsung SSD

Screenshots:

It could be that one of the RAM slot has dust or lint fiber that prevent the RAM stick from working correctly (the system sees it but can't access it because of a bad contact).

Remove the RAM sticks and blow some compressed air into the RAM slots. If you have a RAM slot cleaning kit, just use it.

Pau_RM

Prominent
Aug 24, 2020
It could be that one of the RAM slot has dust or lint fiber that prevent the RAM stick from working correctly (the system sees it but can't access it because of a bad contact).

Remove the RAM sticks and blow some compressed air into the RAM slots. If you have a RAM slot cleaning kit, just use it.
Thanks for the response, I'll try this and let you know if it works.

My PC worked perfectly until I traveled with it about a year ago and took the ram and GPU out. After putting it back together it only recognized 8 GB of RAM out of the 16. I couldn't be bothered to fix it, but now it's been quite annoying while playing video games. In task manager, it says I have 16 GB installed, but 8.0 GB are hardware reserved. It's already uncapped in MSCONFIG, and I've tried each stick individually and they work fine, both times recognizing 8 GB. I also cleared CMOS and it didn't change. Still, when installed together BIOS only recognizes 8 GB. The timings and voltage are correct, and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Any suggestions?

Specs:
Ram- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB ddr4, 3200 MHz
Motherboard- MSI Tomohawk b450
CPU- Ryzen 7 2700x
Graphics- EVGA Geforce RTX 2070
EVGA 750 W Power Supply
1 TB Samsung SSD

Screenshots:
Is the ram in the proper slots?