[SOLVED] System only works with 2 of 4 memory sticks installed.

Mar 17, 2022
I recently upgraded my main desktop and am having a weird issue. If I have all 4 stick or memory installed the system will crash when playing a game (Doom 2016, Rage, Arkham Knight, Grid, Forza 4 Stra Trek Online.) If I have two installed it works fine. WHich 2 does not matter. being in a1,b1 or a2,b2 does not matter. Bios and drivers fully updated.

Any suggestions?
New Parts:
Rysen 5 5600x
Asrock b550 Pro4
T-Force DDR4-3200 CL16-20-20-40 1.35v

Old Parts
EVGA 1060 GTX 6gb
Powerspec 650w power supply
1 cruiial 500GB SSD
3 Sata HD's
1 DVD/Blu-Ray drive

Win 11 if is matters.

Solution
Hi Alan (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

The kit you have listed is a (2x8) SKU 226316 .

You indicate your using 4 DDIMMs so you are mixing RAM kits and that is not a good idea. Even RAM with exactly the same specs can mismatch and they may boot however issues usually happen like unexpected reboots or shutdowns.

Best is to have a single binned kit that are matched at the time of manufacture and are listed on the MB QVL. That way you know they are tested and known to work.
Return what you have and sell the others or keep them for spares.
Were your memory sticks sold in the same package or did they come separate?

If sold all in one then you have a compatibility issue most likely motherboard. Check the QVL for your memory stick model numbers.

If they came in separate packages then it could be the two sets are not compatible together or the above mentioned issue.

Hi Alan (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

The kit you have listed is a (2x8) SKU 226316 .

You indicate your using 4 DDIMMs so you are mixing RAM kits and that is not a good idea. Even RAM with exactly the same specs can mismatch and they may boot however issues usually happen like unexpected reboots or shutdowns.

Best is to have a single binned kit that are matched at the time of manufacture and are listed on the MB QVL. That way you know they are tested and known to work.
Return what you have and sell the others or keep them for spares.

Solution