Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith97

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hello everyone!

Yesterday I started a thread about my CPU being too hot.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3235538/cpu-temperatures-high.html

This is my build(without the SSD): https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Faith97/saved/PZFt6h

According to HWMonitor my processor went up to 90 Celsius during gaming, so I've decided to take it apart today. Me being a dummy I thought the thermal paste on the CPU was some kind of glue so I wiped it right off.
After wiping it off I realized my mistake, so I ordered a new one and it comes on friday.

Surprise surprise my CPU got hotter, according to HWMonitor it's around 60-70 when I am not doing anything and around 70-80 when I am using my browser.
It Instantly jumps to 90 when I launch a game, so I decided I'll only watch tv shows until friday.
I was researching upon thermal paste when I came across a person that said that HWMonitor can't properly measure the temperature on FM2+ motherboards, so I booted up AMD OverDrive and voilá!
Thermal Margin is around 50-60 whilst HWMonitor says 80...which one should I believe?
Is it still safe to play lighter games like Minecraft or League of legends until friday?

Another thing that bothers me is how much thermal paste I need to apply. Some say a pea says will do it, others says it differs whether you got a rounded cooler or a square one(Source:http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Thermal-Paste)

Hope someone can clarify these things for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
With the thermal margin your processor will throttle itself when it gets below zero, until it gets above zero again(which will seriously affect performance, and take longer to complete because there is no thermal paste properly transferring heat to the heat sink, which could keep it in that "danger zone" long enough to actually cause physical damage to the cpu).

I won't in good conscience recommend even having the computer on without thermal paste on the cpu.

MrNiemo

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
You really shouldn't use the computer with no thermal paste on the cpu. Even if you hadn't wiped it off, you can't just stick it back on there with the old paste. You should wait until you get thermal paste if you want that cpu to last.

I use the "pea method" when applying thermal paste and it has worked just fine for me. Too much paste can cause problems.

You should trust AMD Overdrive over HWMonitor all day long, HWMonitor gets it wrong sometimes.

Faith97

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

I tried to close up everything and only use the browser so the CPU won't get too hot and I won't damage it until the new paste arrives but Amd OverDrive shows 40-50 Celsius which really surprises me...

Faith97

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

Sorry then my bad wasn't sure what Thermal Margin means but eveyone says use AMD OverDrive to get the correct temperature.
I believe the PC turns off when the cpu reaches 105 Celsius to prevent damage am I right? Is that the thermal margin?
So if Overdrive says 50 Celsius for the margin I'm actually at 55 Celsius ?

MrNiemo

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
With the thermal margin your processor will throttle itself when it gets below zero, until it gets above zero again(which will seriously affect performance, and take longer to complete because there is no thermal paste properly transferring heat to the heat sink, which could keep it in that "danger zone" long enough to actually cause physical damage to the cpu).

I won't in good conscience recommend even having the computer on without thermal paste on the cpu.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.