system partition problem

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Hi,

after getting some spare hdd space yesterday, i decided to make an 80 GB partition in my second hdd and install windows 10. hoping to duel boot between 8.1 and 10.

however i could not install it because my system partition is too small, there is only 1mb left...

is there a way of increasing this size, as windows disc management doesn't help.. ?

thanks

Solution
OK... so 350MB is apparently the default Windows 8 System Reserved Partition size but it's not normal to be full... You may have to add a partition letter to it, to browser around in it to see what type of files are there, what dates they have, etc. and later proceede according to what you find.

To install Windows 10, do it with the 232GB disk only in the computer. Removing (or disconnecting) the 1TB HDD removes the troublesome SRP partition and should be done anyway to prevent different issues from being created with a OS already installed. The dual boot can be created later with EasyBCD and both HDDs in the computer.
(EDITED)That's a different story, by System Partition it's understood to be the OS partition... the System Reserved Partition is the Boot partition, and that partition should not be used, the tittle clearly states it's reserved for exclusive use by the OS (system). The default size when created is around 100MB and that's large enough for the purpose it serves but your's is even 3+ times larger. The problem is you are using it and should not.... this may even be what caused the partitioning issue... so, whatever files you have saved on it, should be moved out.

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

Sorry for the confusion, windows called it system so I just called it that

I am not sure why it is so big as I havnt touched it, there is only stuff windows put there (I assume).. I'm stumped

Answer a few questions for me:

1. What is the actual size of your System Reserved Partition?
I may have confused your thread with some other one.

2. Does the partition have a drive letter?..
It should not... and if it does, the system may be using it for System Restore files, add a paging file, add update temp files, etc.

3. Did you post (and remove) an image of your Disk Manager?
I don't see a link in this thread so I may have confused the 3 times size with that in another one.

EDIT.
Confirmed... I was answering to a similar problem at the same time and confused the information on partition size with your's... but, answer the pertinent questions and please post an image of your Disk Manager.

OK... so 350MB is apparently the default Windows 8 System Reserved Partition size but it's not normal to be full... You may have to add a partition letter to it, to browser around in it to see what type of files are there, what dates they have, etc. and later proceede according to what you find.

To install Windows 10, do it with the 232GB disk only in the computer. Removing (or disconnecting) the 1TB HDD removes the troublesome SRP partition and should be done anyway to prevent different issues from being created with a OS already installed. The dual boot can be created later with EasyBCD and both HDDs in the computer.

Solution
SRP must contain hidden system files. Use Folder Options to make hidden files visible.... Control Panel or Explorer Tools menu > Folder Options > View > 1) mark "Show hidden files, folder and drives" and 2) Clear the box in "Hide Protected Operating System Files (recommended)".

Notice you must include the last setting to make every hidden system file visible.

I don't see file sizes except for memtest and boot files... all small sizes so there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in the partition. It may be the System Restore, Recovery files and the Recycler folders are ocupying most of the partition. The Recycler folder can be safely deleted and the System Restore (SVI) folder can be deleted (after taking ownership of it) or SR disabled for that partition, and if you have the Windows disk, the Recovery files are unnecessary.

How to Turn System Protection On or Off in Windows 7 (and 8)
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html

[Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?
http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-ownership-permission-of-a-file-or-folder-manually-in-windows/

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

Ah ok, thanks for your help, is deleting those files necessary? Or is it just good if I do it?

I have now installed windows 10, on the smaller HDD (after disabling the main HDD)
All is working well

Now just to enable that dual boot thing - EDIT done

Now that you have installed Windows 10 it's not necessary to delete those files unless the partition runs out of free space.

The Recycler folder: It is safe to delete the Recycler folder if it contains deleted files but I doubt you have deleted any files from the System Reserved Partition so it's probably empty.

The System Volume Information folder: if you don't have problems related to the boot manager at this point, deleting the SVI folder contents is safe.

The Recovery folder: you can delete it if you have a Windows 8 DVD and if you have to.

That sounds reasonable for the recovery files, which in my opinion should not be in the System Reserved Partition but in their own separate partition... You've probably deleted the recovery files or moved them so this bit of information may be unnecessary but I think it's worth mentioning: The linked article has images that show how your a HDD should be partitioned... two examples of the Recovery partition size are 15 and 10 GBs, and other web articles suggest sizes of 900MB, 3.0GB, 7.0GB, 11.0GB, etc., but always in a separate partition, so the 350MB partition is for the Boot files only.

Something I forgot to mention before, is to remove the System Reserved Partition drive letter when you're done cleaning it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/139710/remove-your-pc’s-recovery-partition-and-take-control-of-your-hdd/