[SOLVED] System parts schedule

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Hello everyone.
Im about to build a new PC, but I cannot buy the whole PC at once.
I am able to buy a GPU first, and then the rest of the whole system, or the opposite way.
I got 2 questions my dear friends.
Which way is better? And the second one is: Since im not planning any extreme oc, will the 7 years old corsair cx600w psu handle non oced system for a short time until i get the new psu?
What i want to get soon:
Rx5700xt, r5 3600, some ddr4 ram, b450 Tomahawk or future b550, or x570 if the prices goes down, and a good quality psu( I would buy psu a little bit later, but only if you say that my current psu will handle this specs non oced).
My current build:
R9 380, FX 8350, 16gb ddr3 1866, msi 970a-g43, corsair cx600w.

Please tell me what do you think and what would you do if you were in that kind of situation.
Thanks!

Solution
Your current processor is old, and it was never really great to begin with.
If you upgraded to a better GPU you would likely run into some lackluster performance with the processor failing to keep up with the GPU.

While a new CPU may not provide a very obvious upgrade, it certainly is the better option.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
7 years old corsair cx600w
Agreed with above, just adding another thought:

I would only really use the 2015 model CX line myself.
Also the 600W is poorer quality than the 450 / 550 / 650 models.

The CX600 only has a 3 year warranty, whilst I'm sure it would "work", the PSU I think has outlasted it's life and should be retired for a newer good quality unit, or you risk damage to itself or your other components.

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
I mean i have it since 2012, so i couldnt buy the 2015 corsair back then :D
Okay, so it would nt be safe to use that unit anymore, especially with the new system?
Right, putting the whole at once is best, but i was considering those ways to play much earlier.
Okay guys, i think i could wait longer.
But coming back to the general, if I could buy everything without GPU, or the opposite, what would you do (according to my current build)?
Like there are only those two options

Your current processor is old, and it was never really great to begin with.
If you upgraded to a better GPU you would likely run into some lackluster performance with the processor failing to keep up with the GPU.

While a new CPU may not provide a very obvious upgrade, it certainly is the better option.

Solution