Question System periodically wont power on

Aug 12, 2021
I have this weird bug which started about 2 weeks after assembling my build, where occasionally my computer wouldn't power on. I would turn it off in the evening and the next morning when i pressed the power buttom it would't start. After making sure there was power in the socket and that the psu power switch was turned on, i tried reseating some psu cables. It turned on. Problem solved, or so i thougt.

This bug would persist and make a return every couple of days, usually the fix being to disconnect it from power for a while, and then it would power and then after a couple of minutes it would respond to the power switch again. I tried turning on the machine manually with a screw driver, however that didn't work either. (So it wasn't the case that was the issue).

One day after it being particularly difficult to power on, i sat staring at my dead machine, wondering what to do, when it suddenly powered up by it self, after 6 hours of resistance.
after that day it worked without flaws for about a month.

until a day last week where it simply after multiple days of trying wouldn't power on. I took it into the shop where i bought the parts, they tried with their own cpu, it worked. They put mine back in it worked, they updated bios, and now they claim the problem has been solved. It did work fine for a day after i picked it up, but now it wont power up again.

Have any of you ever heard about a bug like this? It seems very strange to me, all the parts are brand new, all psu cables are plugged in probrbly and have been checked multiple times, the same with the ram.

When i say it doesn't power on, i mean not at all, no fans spinning, no sound, nothing. However the rgb is lighting in the motherboard when the power supply is plugged in and switched on so it must be receiving power.

I'm thinking its either a Psu issue or a motherboard issue, perhaps a cpu issue, but i'd think it would atleast power on if that was the case. I'm not sure how to go about this problem.

Specs:
Ram
T-Force XCALIBUR RGB - 32GB: 4x8GB
Cpu
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X / 3.7 GHz Processor
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING - bundkort - ATX - Socket AM4 - AMD B550
Psu
NZXT C-Series C650 - strømforsyning - 650W 80+ Gold
Case
NZXT H Series H510
Gpu
XFX Radeon RX6600XT QICK308

Hope you guys can give me some clarity on this issue

Aeacus

Glorious
Ambassador
Have any of you ever heard about a bug like this?
Yes, i have and most of the times, it's to do with PSU. Especially when low quality PSU is used, that has the mind of it's own. Good quality PSU should not ever do that.
While you have a good quality PSU, there are lemons, even among the best.

At this point, i suggest you replace the PSU, either with same series or different one. Just contact your store and ask them to replace the PSU under warranty.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts