stenpep

Reputable
May 18, 2016
Hello everyone,
A month ago I decided to upgrade my pc with new mobo, cpu, ram, everything worked fine but while I was playing cities skylines today, I got a blue screen, then whenever it tried to restart, right after the windows logo, it gets a blue screen again, even when it tries to get to the recovery page, it gets a blue screen. I tried making a windows recovery usb, and even a new windows installation usb, but still.. right after the windows logo it crashes.
Now I am considering it to be a hardware failure, but the weird thing is that it posts just fine, so the bios is no problem.
I am running the latest bios.

Complete system:
Amd ryzen 5 3600
Asrock b450m pro4
Corsair vegeance lpx ddr4 2x8gb 3200mhz
Msi geforce gtx 650 ti boost (yes I know)
Ssd samsung 850evo
wd hdd
Samsung dvd drive

Things I've tried:
Booting with one ram stick removed (tried both)
Booting from windows recovery usb
Booting with windows10 installation usb
Trying to install windows 10 with ssd removed
Booting with all usb devices unplugged
Trying to install windows 8 from an old dvd I had lying around.
Edit:
Booting with both hdd and dvd drive unplugged
Booting with different graphics card
Checked power connectors

Everything resulted in a blue screen, different codes appear: system thread exception not handled, page fault in non paged area, are 2 of them.

I think my cpu is dead, do you guys know anything I should consider?

UPDATE: jus to try, I tried to install Ubuntu, with a different clean hdd and with the ssd, dvd drive and original hdd unplugged, it also got stuck (first on splash screen, 2nd time it didn't even make it to the splash screen)
Changed thread title.

I don't really know how to troubleshoot this now, how do I know if the cpu or mobo is bad? Don't have any am4 spare parts around.
I do have warranty on both mobo, cpu, and ram.

Last edited:

stenpep

Reputable
May 18, 2016
have you install any new graphic driver update?
Yes I did, either today or yesterday, however I don't see how this could affect even the windows 10 installation, but I will try an older graphics card then.

Edit: I just tried a different graphics card, same problem, kernel security check failure this time.

Last edited:

stenpep

Reputable
May 18, 2016
Try disconnecting that DVD Drive and see if that helps. Also make sure the 8 Pin and 24 pin power connectors are properly seated in the mobbo!
Just tried with both the hdd and the dvd drive unplugged, still the same problem, all power connectors are in nice an tight, wiggled them around a bit.

I'm going to try Ubuntu, see if that will install on it.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Note: I changed original thread post.

Yes it does post, that's the weird thing to me, in the bios everything shows up, but when it tries to boot it fails, just tried to install Ubuntu, which also failed.

Have you tried each of the memory modules in each of the available slots? First try stick 1 in slot 1 then 2 and 3 and finally 4. If you get no boot with that stick in either of the slots then try again with the other stick. If that also fails then try to reset the BIOS and see if that helps. It might be that the BIOS attempts to apply settings to the RAM that it can not handle causing the data corruption.

stenpep

Reputable
May 18, 2016
Have you tried each of the memory modules in each of the available slots? First try stick 1 in slot 1 then 2 and 3 and finally 4. If you get no boot with that stick in either of the slots then try again with the other stick. If that also fails then try to reset the BIOS and see if that helps. It might be that the BIOS attempts to apply settings to the RAM that it can not handle causing the data corruption.
I didn't go as far as trying every ram slot, so I will do that later today, I already tried to run the ram at a lower speed (I had problems getting 3200 when I initially build the system) I will do a complete bios reset later today aswell.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I didn't go as far as trying every ram slot, so I will do that later today, I already tried to run the ram at a lower speed (I had problems getting 3200 when I initially build the system) I will do a complete bios reset later today aswell.

Just make sure you do the RAM test before the BIOS reset otherwise the problem will be more difficult to diagnose in case it was the memory!

stenpep

Reputable
May 18, 2016
Just make sure you do the RAM test before the BIOS reset otherwise the problem will be more difficult to diagnose in case it was the memory!
So I just tried every ram slot with 1 stick except the first one because that would involve removing the cpu cooler, after that failed to solve the problem I cleared the cmos, but the problem still persists. I really think the cpu is bad.